Interior heating not working.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umboman

My garage failed to sort my interior heating out in May,said they forgot but I think they did not know how to fix it?There is hardly any hot air,just a faint warm blast...even after a lot fast run.
The fan works & I replaced the heater matrix double bridge piece(with a switch on) 2 years ago-it connects 4 radiator hoses 2 in & 2out R & L-top of engine bay near the windscreen(either it was damaged or not working?Cannot remember which-but maybe that switch is broken again?)But the air-con works & that blows quiet cold.Its 16 years old now so wear & tear probably?
There is no leaking coolant in the car or under & the level seems constant-I replaced that last year with pink expensive stuff & distilled water.
Any advice gratefully received.Thank you.

Did you fit a genuine Ford heater control valve? Pattern parts are well known to not last very long. Could also be the panel in the car as occasionally the PCB in that can go pop.

It was my heater control panel that had gone, should be easy enough to get hold of from a scrappy or ebay.

Thanks to both replies-I bought my heater control valve from Fords.When you say panel do you mean on the fascia with the knobs on?Whats a PCB?....If its a tricky job I will just try another garage?

Yes, the one in the car. It has a Printed Circuit Board in it that can go wrong. Repair isn't really an option so best to get another. New will be £££ so best have a word with our resident parts chap - IanG - who will be able to supply you a second hand one, known to be fully working:

http://www.projectpuma.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=340190#p340190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/pumabits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks I have had a look & he has 2-I did not know you had a resident parts chap that is good news.My Puma is 15 years old now(W reg)-just the age for things to start failing,so I will give it a go for £30.If that does not fix it then we will drive it cold!
Someone rear ended my Puma this year & it was written off(cat C) but I bought it back & got £749 cash after purchase price,but had to go to Avonmouth (4 hr round trip) to get the VIN check done for £50.So not worth spending much on it as the insurance will have devalued the car by about 50% now so guess it's worth £400 now on paper?
If it badly fails it's MOT or gets written off again I plan to strip out my TOAD alarm & stereo & take off the SS Longlife exhaust & the recent newly refurbished propeller wheels-the scrappy will collect.I will let you guys know about the exhaust & maybe(?) the wheels..........or if & when?-Would anyone want the complete car minus stereo,alarm & wheels?(for parts).
Thanks again.

UPDATE-Well I replaced the heater control panel(with PCB)..I thought it went warmer but after a proper test drive sad to say there is no improvement in the no hot air situation at all? It was worth a punt for £36.
The only thing I can guess is the Ford heater control valve has gone again or to just just look at every fuse in the fuse box?
Anyway it is on it's last legs & my wife only does short trips in it & it has the heated windscreen;with the insurance value around £400-500 I think we will just put up with it until we scrap it.
Thanks for all the help tho! Best wishes.

One last thing to check perhaps that's happened to me a couple of times. The electrical connector that goes into the HCV at the back of the engine has a 2 physical connectors. These are of a fork type - so that they need to slide over the spade terminals on the HCV. I've had it where they are too far apart to actually connect to the spade terminals on the HCV. Get some needle nose pliers and push them back together again and reconnect just in case.

Thanks for that Speedy Gonzalez reply.No point quitting at this stage I will give a go,thanks.No need to reply.

Thanks to Oilburner,Dal,Craig26283,..........due to bad back(4 months last Autumn) & recently Pneumonia just got back to sorting this problem out & a big thank you to Pumabits for patience & supplying the bits new ECB & HCV.Despite a new Ford HCV 2 years ago & replacing ECB-I took another punt & paid £14.95 for a 2ndhand HCV & TODAY AFTER A YEAR I HAVE HEAT!!!!!
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Arthur Conan Doyle
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/arthurcona134512.html
Thanks for all your help,could not have done it without you!
Best wishes from Simon. :grin:

Back