Is it legal?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonB

I know we have a few folks who are in the know, so would it be legal to use a sticker type number plate on the bonnet?
The way a standard front plate hangs in the front makes the car look buck toothed and it's just asking for grief to fit an illegal skinny one.

technically no sticker plate complies with BS AU 145d.

this is because under the construction section of the BS, only plastic plates have been tested and checked to comply with the standards on durability.

That is the only technical reason why you cannot technically use one. If however you were prepared to submit a vynl plate to the statutory testing and it passed then you could get any convictions/fines quashed as you have proven the plate complys with the relevant standard.

however, the way to get around it is if the car is pre 2001, fit a sticker plate to the correct typeface of the pre2001 regulations then claim it was on the car when you bought it. The police would then have to prove it was fitted post 2001 as the number plate regulations are not retrospective.

I've been running around without a front plate for about a month, seen loads of coppers and not been stopped *fingers crossed*

Why do they never stop me then? Plus the plate is on display in the windscreen so provided they believe me when I say it just fell off etc. I'll be fine :)

probably havent noticed but i guarantee you its a matter of time as its illegal not to display a front plate.

you may get away with a warning the first time they catch you using the excuse of it just fell off, however something will probably go on record to say what happened then next time you are seen it will be a fine

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/22592-no-number-plate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is on display...

I am not disputing that it's technically illegal but I know what the police are more worried about!

lol just saying, i dont think it looks better anyway, maybe if you got the recess filled but as is just looks like its fallen off and a mess

really cant see any reason to want to do what you are doing but each to there own lol

I think the puma looks better without one! Looks smoother at the front lol.

How come cars need front plates and bikes don't?

i think most cars look better without, but the fact is you have a recess and two screw brackets sticking out that clearly show a plate should be fitted so looks messy, remove those and it would look ok, still illegal though lol

i think a front number plate on a bike is considered a hazard, rumours are that they are trying to get them to have them though

We used to call front plates on bikes "cheese cutters" and they were hazardous, but no worse than a fixed bonnet emblem.
The only problem with fitting elsewhere on a Puma is the "vertical as possible" requirement, guess its time to get the protractor out and see what can be done, if all else fails the bumper will have to do and the car will be called Mater, LOL.

It is technically illegal, doesn't conform to Construction and Use Regualations, but.... and here is the real world... if it is the correct size, reflective, at 90 degrees to the floor, with the correct font letter with correct spacing etc, and isn't taking the piss i.e tiny letters facing the sky, the Police probably wouldn't give you a hard time, unless you fail the attitude test when stopped for something, and they then start looking for something to stick you on for.

As for the plate on the dash, you'd get a warning the first time (unless the PC was in a bad mood!) but it is an absolute offence. They didn't stop you probably because you were going the other way and they had better things to do, and its not really proportionate to swing their car around and chase after you for that small offence.

Thanks for your perspective. I was following an ANPR car yesterday morning and was surprised not to be stopped as it would have been quite easy. Must get it fixed soon, can't be lucky forever!

I have a sticky one on my bonnet. Been past 3 police cars today and not one pulled me. Quite good really as mot and tax were out of date and had snuck to castle combe..

So you should be fine without the front one on. Worst case leave it in the boot and the screws in the car and you can fit it if the cops ask you to.

I had a very small number plate on the front of my Classic Saab 900 Turbo for over a year it was 3"x6" that was it...only ever changed it for the MOT mounted like a Alfa of centre as I had a big FMIC with water injection misting kit...

never had a problem with the law :twisted: :twisted:

cheers boys'n'girls

Back