Is the spare wheel Steel or alloy?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3xpendable

I'm at work right now so can't check, but is the spare on a standard Puma a steel wheel or alloy?

Many thanks.

Steel from the factory. A previous owner might have put an alloy there though.

The problem with a steel spare is the wheel nuts for alloy wheels are different to that for steel wheels. It's recommended not to run on a steel wheel with nuts for alloy wheels for too long as they're not the correct profile.

Alloy one on the left - steel type on the right:

dsc03050.jpg

The alloy wheel nut is much wider as the holes in OEM Ford alloys are much bigger than aftermarket alloys and steel wheels.

Although that's probably too much information..lol

Of two Pumas in the family, both as they left the factory in 2001, one had a nine spoke spare to match the nine spoke alloys, the other had F1 alloys fitted from new but had a steel spare. A set of nine-spokes we bought for refurb came as a set of 5 alloy wheels.

Dal is rigt, they all left the factory whit steel spares, but some people might have swaped the spare, for a full sice aloy wheel instead :)

Cheers guys, I'll check for sure tonight but intend fitting a nice matching alloy to be honest. So if anyone hears of a 5 spoke alloy going please let me know! No rush.

I checked my spare today - not only is it a steel wheel, it is a 13" one! The tyre is a 2007 something or other. Must get an alloy and a new tyre.

Back