Is this the clutch on the way out?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xrion236

when the car accelerates and hits the VCT 4500+RPM it sometimes feels like someone is pushing the clutch pedal down (not me :D) im guessing this is clutch slip? The clutch engages on gear change fine though. .

Just a note the cars done 72K and hasnt had its clutch changed yet so im guessing it might be time for a new one! Any suggestions?

Sounds like it could be your clutch slipping. It will engage fine etc you normally only notice it to begin with when trying to accelerate in 4th / 5th.

There's a few opinions on clutches, it really depends on what you want to be using the car for.

I use a standard one but people have started fitting the ST150.

Yeah its its in the higher gears never really happens in the lower gears.

I use it for everyday but sometimes (rarely) fast road/track.

sounds like clutch, but doesnt sound like you need to rush to change it.

options i have come across are; puma 210mm (puma and frp), uprated helix 210mm (very hard to press as theyv only uprated the spring pressures), st150 (of which diameter i do not know)(quite hard to press down i have heard)

or my favourite; a 220mm focus clutch; bigger external diameter and also smaller internal; you get A LOT more surface area, which also means its got stronger grip without making the springs harder; ie its not harder to press down! in fact its slightly easier than a standard puma clutch!!!. its technically not rated for the power of the frp but it easily copes, i blast through a puma clutch in a year and this is older than 2 years with no issues! i drive hard and its lasted! everyone who has tried it also likes it so i highly recommend. bonus also is that its not a 'performance' clutch so its dirt cheap!

another obscure option; ap racing (the daddies of the clutch world- supply all f1 cars) will do a friction plate but not a pressure plate (but you can send them a pressure plate and they will rebuild it to their spec)

jacko said:
options i have come across are; puma 210mm (puma and frp), uprated helix 210mm (very hard to press as theyv only uprated the spring pressures), st150 (of which diameter i do not know)(quite hard to press down i have heard)

ive got the helix fitted to my frp and have had it for 4 years, i do like it as it really has taken a battering, done a few track days, been to the ring 3 times and gets driven hard but in all honesty it is far to hard, in traffic its just a nightmare and it does make traffic light launches quite hard as theres not much between being engaged and not. but once your up into the 7000 odd rpm gear changes it really does bite nicely, but at the same time i would imagine that extra pressure puts a strain on the other parts involved in the clutch but touch wood mines been fine so far.

and in respect to the st150 item being hard to push??

i have one fitted in my track puma. and it grips very very well and has taken alot of abuse since being fitted bearing in mind im only an inlet manifold away from an frp engine and have the lsd frp box etc so it gets a beating . but all i can say is ive never had a clutch thats easier to press, its alot softer than the one even in my transit connect van. sometimes if im honest it feels a bit too soft but its a very good clutch for the price but make sure you use the puma release bearing and not the focus one as it wont fit.

alan.

ap are softer to press too

softer the better imo!

focus clutch is solid as a rock, if your going mad at high revs, hard shifts and harder engine mounts the whole car will 'thud' into the next gear and snap your neck! but its as soft as butter in trafic!

Back