Lots of new parts, hesitation remains

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fefu17

After getting a list of faults longer than a Christmas shopping list :lol: , I have replaced the following:

Oil and all filters (incl. fuel)
Clutch
Plugs
Aux belt, timing belt and pulleys
Water pump
VCT solenoid
Cam sensor
Battery (and re-setted ECU)
Reconditioned starter
Removed cat and mid section (no leaks from exhaust)

I have also cleaned ICV and MAF and noticed an immediate improvement. After all this, it's giving no faults now apart from faulty catalyser (which is not there).

Hesitation tends to be worse when cold...have to use high cars to keep it on low revs as otherwise will knock/hesitate. Things get better when temp gets normal. If I try to pull aggressively from a stand still, it will not get past the 3k (as if rev limiter is at 3k). If I pull gently and then nail it suddenly, it will hesitate at about 3k to 4k and then power comes all of a sudden till the end. If I'm on high gears, say third or top and pull out gently, it will go all the way through with little hesitation though still not as a puma should. Having said all this, it does (on very rare occasions) pull aggressively like a train all the way through, even on 1st gear and ironically when cold.

Don't know if any of you have experienced something similar...Don't want to waste money but at the same time I can't go on like this...can be dangerous at times, say pulling from a junction besides it's very frustrating :evil: I was going to have a try with a new MAF as before I cleaned it, car wouldn't go to the higher revs no matter what.

Cambelt replaced recently together with VCT solenoid and water pump. Before that, it was giving a VCT related fault (P1380 if I recall correctly), then it cleared.

Take it to a proper mechanic who can diagnose the fault. Not sure where you live but within 1000 miles I'd go to Tremona (Southampton)!

I'm from Malta :lol: But you're right better have a second opinion than start to replace parts at random ...

sounds like its missing badly. i would get the car rescanned. Looking at what has already been replaced. My thoughts would be, was the engine correctly timed when the cambelt was fitted or has skipped a tooth, is the variable cam actuator faulty, or is the heated oxygen sensor faulty, pre-cat one reads exhaust gases and cycles with the ecu to adjust fuel mixture. Post-cat one compares readings with the pre-cat sensor to determine wether the catalyst is inneficient. but also as above it could be a coil pack.

Bought a new MAF... never felt this good, finally running as it should :-D

Back