Missing bolt help - big oil leak

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

si1881

Hi, I had a ‘failure to proceed’ as some describe it last week where the car lost most of its oil…
I think I have identified that the bolt that should act as the blank for use when using the locking tool(?) for the bottom pulley up behind the driveshaft bracket has come out. It’s the hole 90’ behind the cam belt side of the engine but can’t seem to find anything correct to fit. I’ve found a temporary blanking plug of an M10 bolt but doesn’t screw in well and don’t want to put anything too long in in case it meets something inside. I’m guessing the garage that did the belt before I had it in January didn’t do it up?!

Does anyone know what size bolt (length and thread pitch etc) should be there? it’s a real pain to get at so presume it should have a proper bolt head rather than the Allen key type plug I’ve found to stop it leaking further on the drive. Surprisingly the local main dealer weren’t very helpful…

Ford main dealers are usually very unhelpful, I'm fortunate to have a helpful service dealer about 10 miles away (the main dealer is less than a mile away).
I use this website for part numbers,

https://ford.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:group;lang:ru;category:car;catalog:57;param:no}

It may help you get the part number.

If M10 seems right diameter but doesn't fit, try M10 fine. I'm sure if you went only 10mm thread depth it wouldn't hit any moving parts. Maybe put a sealing washer on there as well

Ford main dealers are usually very unhelpful, I'm fortunate to have a helpful service dealer about 10 miles away (the main dealer is less than a mile away).
I use this website for part numbers,

https://ford.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:group;lang:ru;category:car;catalog:57;param:no}

It may help you get the part number.
Thanks, it appears to be the only part of the engine that isn’t shown!

Just taken one out of a 1.7 to get these sizes. Thread is M10 x 1.50 (Standard M10) thread length is 12mm approx. and then there is a blank / unthreaded section 10mm long. This gives 22mm length from the sealing face to the internal end of the plug. This plug has a M10 bonded (dowty) seal to prevent leaks.

Attachments

• 7D40575B-F674-4168-BE1D-4695B5EE4F33.png
    7D40575B-F674-4168-BE1D-4695B5EE4F33.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: red

Latest posts

Back