mk focus RS wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberdarepuma

As u know I'm wideining my puma to frp stance, does any1 know if mk focus rs wheels will be suitable? As they are +42ET but are 8.5J wide, if any1 has some piks that would be great thanks :)

A few people have had these fitted to FRPs in the past..

FRPwithRSFocuswheels.jpg

I think it's said that only 5mm spacer is needed on the front..

daniel.S even had them on his standard Puma
22929656hf0.jpg

daneil.S had the following spacers on standard
225/35 R18

front = 10mm Spacers
rear = 5mm Spacers + 20mm StreetKA Spacers

I've seen them fitted to an FRP, they didn't look too bad. If you are keeping a standard 1.7 box the 18" wheels will really sap your power though. Ideally if you want huge wheels you could do with adjusting gearing to suit. Are you fitting FRP wings as well, I think it will be a bit much with 18's with standard arches.

PumaNoob said:
If you are keeping a standard 1.7 box the 18" wheels will really sap your power though. Ideally if you want huge wheels you could do with adjusting gearing to suit. Are you fitting FRP wings as well, I think it will be a bit much with 18's with standard arches.

I ddn think about the acceleration that would be lost : /

Its something a lot of people over look, i did with my 1.6 focus, but you will have more of a step then i did. If the stock tyre size is 195-50-15, and the focus are 225-40-18, thats a 61mm outside diameter increase, or 10.6%. Thats going from a rolling radius of 181cm to 200cm, or to put it another way, 10.6% less torque to the ground. (in theory)

PumaNoob said:
Its something a lot of people over look, i did with my 1.6 focus, but you will have more of a step then i did. If the stock tyre size is 195-50-15, and the focus are 225-40-18, thats a 61mm outside diameter increase, or 10.6%. Thats going from a rolling radius of 181cm to 200cm, or to put it another way, 10.6% less torque to the ground. (in theory)

That in theory is a lot to loose, what would u recomend to accomadate this? People have suggested putting the fiesta mk5 zetec 4 final drive into puma box any ideas?

Yeah, either swap the crown and pinion from another box, bigger crown and smaller pinion (quite a lot of faffing), or just fit a smaller engined fiesta gearbox, either 1.25 or 1.4. The 1.3 wont fit. I think a 2-3% loss wont be as noticable, but to loose 13bhp from a standard engine wouldnt be ideal. Youd notice it more at higher speed as thats where you really use the torque. You'll never get it spot on just swapping out the gearbox, but youll get it a lot closer. If you get the crown and pinion swapped out, you should be able to get it however you want!

It not standard tho..... I'm gonna runa a budget turbo build low comp around 6-7 psi,,, hoping for 200bhp,, does that change ur opinion mate? If putting a 1.25 gearbox on if best bet then ill jus do that :)

Ooh, that changes everything lol!! Well in that case I'd recommend the same thing I recommended to Mac, if I was doing it, for ease I'd go with a 1.4 focus box, and change to cable shift. It's an IB5 plus so is supposed to be stronger then the puma IB5. Ideally though, I'd get a focus 1.4 or 1.6 casing with St150 internals, they seem to be the strongest IB5 gearbox, I ran 330bhp and 300ft/lbs without any issues, although I did break it with launch control and 350bhp.

Well I'm not gonna be anywehere near that power lol did mac go with that setup after then? Wouldn a puma 1.4 box be better as that's on rods rather than cables? And do u know if the change to cable is straight 4ward? Cheers

I did it and took me about 2 hours! The 1.4 box would be better then the 1.7, it will put less strain on your drivetrain and put more power to the wheels. You could always try it and see how you get on. Mac hasn't changed anything just yet, he is considering his options.

I think to start ill use the 1.7 box I have hear genuine 48,000 miles ill try that first (don't think I've ignored anything uve sed), ill run it with that box for a little while, and then see what I wan from the car, thanks for spending ur time helping buddie :)

Latest posts

Back