Mmt6 gearbox?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dziku

Has any body did this?
Mmt6 from kuga ecoboos seems the best idea, with 6th sligthy longer than puma 5. and closer set for all gears.
But i dont know nothing about flywheel an clutch setup..
I think puma wheel must stay, as kuga dual mus is heavy as engine itself, but what about disc and pressure plate?
I will put that in my mk1 focus(still 1.4 for now), it should be fun...

Sounds like a lot of work and expense for...the fun of it?
I enjoy an ill-advised project as much as the next guy but...This one sounds like a bad idea. If you want a faster car, you could probably buy one cheaper (and faster) than this project would end up being in the long run.
Problems to solve:
-Sourcing the factory parts
-Fabricating custom parts to adapt everything
-Bell housing pattern likely different
-Engine output Shaft and Transmission input shaft lengths are likely different. Probably the diameters too.
-Shifter connections
-Will most likely have to mix and match clutch parts
-Physical space they take up is certainly different so relocations and "cut-and patch's" are likely
-Will need custom axles made
-The Axles may not even line-up with the Puma hubs so now your looking at relocating the entire drivetrain or coming up with some kind of U-joint contraption
-Are there any electronics that would need to be dealt with? Reverse indicators, speed sensors, etc.

As crazy as it may sound, you would probably have an easier time swapping in an entirely different drivetrain from a donor car than just trying to swap in a transmission.

mmc757 said:
If you want a faster car, you could probably buy one cheaper (and faster) than this project would end up being in the long run.
I realy like my focus :)
mmc757 said:
Problems to solve:
-Sourcing the factory parts
-Fabricating custom parts to adapt everything
So:
mmc757 said:
-Bell housing pattern likely different
1.5/1.6 ecoboost are based on sigma, bolt pattern is the same..
mmc757 said:
-Engine output Shaft and Transmission input shaft lengths are likely different. Probably the diameters too.
As above...
mmc757 said:
-Shifter connections
Probably end with Mk2 focus shifter al linkage
mmc757 said:
-Will most likely have to mix and match clutch parts
Zetec 1.8 pressure plate and organic/kevlar plate will do.

mmc757 said:
-Physical space they take up is certainly different so relocations and "cut-and patch's" are likely
That should'nt be a problem, mk1 alb mk2 engine bays are almost identical as width is in concern.
mmc757 said:
-Will need custom axles made
In mk2 focus mtx75 and mmt6 axles are the same, so i can use mk1 mtx75 axles, in worst scenario i will need to make axel mount on timing side.
mmc757 said:
-The Axles may not even line-up with the Puma hubs so now your looking at relocating the entire drivetrain or coming up with some kind of U-joint contraption
Again, i wrote that my car is focus, with puma engine swap in progres...
mmc757 said:
-Are there any electronics that would need to be dealt with? Reverse indicators, speed sensors, etc.
Reverse is not a problem, as for vss, it will need module(probably arduino based) to convert abs signal to vss signal as fords above 2004 dont use vss..
mmc757 said:
As crazy as it may sound, you would probably have an easier time swapping in an entirely different drivetrain from a donor car than just trying to swap in a transmission.
No, because i need light engine(got 1.7) with good gearbox(ib5 isn't one), and faily simply electronics, that combo does not exist in factory for car...

Flywheel will by puma, 1.4 may be too light, and i dont know it will accept 1.8 clutch.
Only major fabrication will be gearbox mount. Most parts are easy/cheap to find, biggest concern is diameter of ecoboost flywheel, when i use sigma wheel will the starter engage...

Back