Modifying Imtec Bonnet Help

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

So some of you may remember I purchased a imtec fibreglass bonnet ages ago (think it might actually be over 2 years now) from a known individual at the time, who, for very good reasons is no longer on the forum.

To cut a long story short the mould wasn't correct in the first place with the overall length ending around the lights/front grill too long varying to gaps too big at the top of the lights, the overall width and shape is fine but it needs work (cutting back/filling possibly bending)

Bit of a stab in the dark but I'm after a talented individual who's up for a challenge to get it to fit (not looking for a show car finish, the cars tracked and abused) previous experience with fibreglass adjustments would likely to needed.

So if you know anyone (preferably in the South east) who could take it on (or even a company that wouldn't charge the earth) please reply here or pm me. Thanks.

Sadly I have to agree. I would imagine the labour for someone with the skills to do it would be too expensive and uneconomical. Probably better to source another from elsewhere. :(

Any good body shop should be able to sort it out but its going to cost you a whole lot more than its worth to be honest.

PumaJay said:
Any good body shop should be able to sort it out but its going to cost you a whole lot more than its worth to be honest.

Its a tricky one as it cost me £150 to buy (as opposed to £350 for a standard one on LSW)

£100 to repair (huge chuck was missing from a corner due to non-existent packaging in transit.

So I'm £250 into it. I'd be prepared to pay £200-£250 to sort it, if that's possible (that way I'm still saving £100-£150 on buying another and it not being an imtec)

How about cutting out the bits that are different, and retrofitting thrm to Your current bonnet?

grind it all back. lay up patches of new glass with at least a 3" overlap with old. Build it up until its bigger and thicker than the original in all dimensions. allow to cure. You now have plenty of material to sand and shape. Once shaped its time for body filler to get the precise smooth finish then final sand and prep for paint.

Should be doable DIY for anyone who can use a brush and sandpaper and has a bit of patience.

Hi Grayfox
The thing that makes all this fibre glass work easy is that cellulose thinners cleans brushes that you have used for glassing so follow Warrens guide, mix up resin (which is easy) and brush away. It's really easy once you know that you don't have to throw the paintbrushes away.
Barry

Back