MOT fail!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myweepuma

It's failed on lots but nothing too drastic but can someone tell me what a macpherson strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing is?? The struts are being replaced but is this a desperate part or is there another name for them I'd understand lol

Yeah that makes sense lol although there is no serious fail issues there's lots of silly ones garage want £500-£600 to repair it so trying to see if I can get the parts cheaper and DIY it!

Relatively easy job, 2 bolts holding brake pipe and drop link on to strut (you will need allen key as well for these) top nut on strut top again allen key needed to hold then pinch bolt on strut bottom end, remove strut..if you are relacing top mount you also need coil compressor to remove spring.

Gotta keep all the "millies" we can..

Good luck :grin:

Just seen this zinc where abouts do you lurk? Lol that's us just started stripping it we got sidetracked by a corsa!

Sidetracked by a Corsa?....just bin it, kindest thing to do to a Corsa :grin:

I lurk south of Ayr in the back of beyond if you are looking for help, although if you are at the stripping stage guess its no longer mobile.

Yeah side tracked lol had a jumped timing chain so new chain and alls well! Am not a vauxhall fan there engines are sh*te!

Not mobile anymore it's on stands now but we've made a start! Need to find out about this abs thing though am a tad worried about it!

Been a while since it failed the MOT .... A year to be exact lol but after getting some new parts it sat most of the summer autumn and winter on stands on the drive but the local scrap scavengers spurred us on after I came home from the school run to find the doors wide open and it had been rifled through! Anyway! In the last couple of weeks it's had the front inner arches all rubbed down treated and repainted before it got new springs, shocks, wishbones, drop links, track rod ends, upper bearings and anti roll bar bushes on both sides also had the calipers cleaned up and painted and new discs and pads

Today it's had a new centre section and back box and currently now looking at the back brakes

She still needs new shocks at the rear and new tyres then a service and then I'll get her back to the test station and hopefully with any luck she might just pass lol

So will I be lol

everything that was on the failure has been dealt with but it's been sat a year so we probably have gone a bit overboard with replacing things but if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right!

My Millie failed this week as well £360 for lots of small things like bushes, exhaust and droplinks etc, well worth saving a good Millie but eaten into my arch replacement fund,

We did an arch repair not long after we bought it but it's started to bubble through again so will probably get it cut out and new metal this time

myweepuma said:
We did an arch repair not long after we bought it but it's started to bubble through again so will probably get it cut out and new metal this time

I repaired mine with fresh metal almost 3 years and so far so good :thumbs:

I know it's more work and cost but it's worth spending that bit more and getting them done properly :grin:

With regards to your MOT work... like it has already been suggested.. it's always worth trying it yourself first and if you do get stuck there are plenty of people on here to assist :eek:k:

We do most work our selfs anyway we did the arch repair too but we knew it was always gonna need new metal

The pumas taken so long because we have too many cars to attend too lol we currently have 6 here and were struggling for space!

Back