MOT time & other small improvements..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP88

Hi all,

So I have my '99 1.7 Puma due it's MOT next month.. I'm prepared for a good couple of hundred quid in costs.

My "project" thread is here - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=24986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From last years MOT I have the following advisories that I haven't looked into yet -

- Nearside front suspension arm ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing ingrss of dirt.
- Both front brake hoses slightly deteriorated.
- Rear exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases.
- Rear beam axle bushes slightly worn.

Since that MOT, my Puma has done 4000 miles. If worst comes to worst with those advisories, then am I right in saying its 2 new CV boots (may aswell do both), set of front brake hoses, new backbox, and get the rear polybushed?

Not sure on costs, but I've got a good mechanic I've used for 7 years..

My other question is - If all that work was to be done.. is it then worth also paying to do a few other basic jobs? Drop links? Anti roll bar bushes?

Thanks in advance!

The first item would appear to refer to the ball joint on the wishbone the hub sits on and not cv boots.

Personally I would consider having a go at the drop links yourself rather than paying someone. In fact having a go at all of it yourself if you like.

Its also worth noting that MOT's can be pretty random, the same garage this year may completely write the car off for rust when it wasn't even mentioned as an advisory last year, alternatively non of the previous advisory's may get mentioned and a new set of advisory's pop up.

Get it MOT'd as early as possible i.e. a month before its runs out and make your plan on what they say this year not what they said last year. :thumbs:

Back