Muffler/Silencer/Backbox Question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooticus

Hey all,

Bit of a language barrier here for the American and I've seen it called all three names, but as I've been tearing into my Puma, found the muffler was severely corroded and well... pretty much destroyed it getting it off once I realized replacements were easy enough to obtain.

No recent threads (ones I found all have dead Ebay links) I can find so I wanted to ask for recommendations on mufflers. Plenty on Ebay that look to match OEM, and a few custom ones out there too. If I were to go custom, I'm not a punk looking to turn this thing into a Honda Civic with a fartcan (I think equivalent is VW Golf here?) but would want something that keeps it classy. Anyway, thought I'd get some inputs if any would like to share!

I think as long as you keep the standard layout with the centre silencers and a sensible backbox then it'll not sound like you're back being 17.

You can get a bit more of a sporty note by changing the configuration a bit, think 4-2-1 manifold , lose a mid silencer (some had 2) and keep a sensible backbox.

I liked the sound the Piper systems made, bit of a deeper note compared with the Millteks I'd used. I've just had a quick look and trying to find something has become a bit harder with the MK2 now taking precedence.

This chap had good things to say about the 3.5" outwardly rolled Piper, you can get this in 3" too I believe.

Piper
(This is just a suggestion / example, I've never actually owned Piper, seen them on cars at shows and I've never used this website before)

More recently on here a lot of posts have been about people fitting Sportex (a brand I'm not familiar with, but they seem happy enough)

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=378936#p378936
https://sportexdirect.co.uk/puma-1998-2001/sportex-ford-puma-exhaust-back-box-17i-1997-2001-s3-bf57-s-3

Anyway, it's very personal preference, I know folk have put a whole system on only then to then go and replace it with something different. To the extreme of the next option which was commissioned by a guy that liked the standard FRP setup and didn't like any of the aftermarket alternatives when it came to replacement. The original supplied by Janspeed is no longer produced, so he did something about it. If I still had a Puma, this would be the first option I'd be looking at.

https://allisonautomotive.co.uk/spares/parts-exhaust/

I currently use a Hoffman centre section with does not have a silencer and on the back I have a Sportex muffler. Together they sound really nice with a slight 'burble' when idling.
BUT..... if you do a lot of motorway driving the sound can be deafening. The exhaust will 'drone' and is very loud especially as the Puma sits quite high in the rev range at motorway speeds.

Red, Cherry,

Thanks for the inputs! Liking what I'm hearing about the Sportex and the pricing of the base model so far. Anyone else lurking please feel free to throw in your two cents or pence.

Same as above really. I have 4-2-1 manifold and no centre silencer, with Hoffmann back box. It sounds nicely raspy but as others have said it's a bit droney on the motorway.

I would think aftermarket pattern systems are ok in terms of noise and ought to be affordable if they are still available, but won't give any performance upgrade.

Long term I'd like to get a stainless system made up which can be surprisingly affordable, £250 or so I believe. That would mean one can choose the backbox noise level and ensure the routing is 100% for the mounting points underneath the car (mine is a bit of a bodge).

I would think the system/back box that Chris at Allison Automotive should be seriously considered as he knows the Puma inside out and has done a lot of research in developing his. I know for one if I hadn’t already got a stainless steel Miltek system that’s where I would be heading straight to.

Simonavis said:
I would think the system/back box that Chris at Allison Automotive should be seriously considered as he knows the Puma inside out and has done a lot of research in developing his. I know for one if I hadn’t already got a stainless steel Miltek system that’s where I would be heading straight to.
100% this.
Just fitted one of his full frp systems, it's a work of art.
IMG_09072022_202421_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_09072022_155115_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_09072022_202430_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_09072022_155121_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg

caprixpack said:
Simonavis said:
100% this.
Just fitted one of his full frp systems, it's a work of art.
IMG_09072022_202421_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_09072022_155115_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_09072022_202430_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_09072022_155121_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg

Does it have a cat?

Latest posts

Back