Multiple Advice Required

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

Hi All,

I purchased my 2nd Puma back in June 2015 and since purchasing it, I have done the following (unfortunately not documented though):

• Purchased the full leather interior plus door cards from a scrap yard and fitted;

Soundproofed the entire car using bitumen backed soundproofing (eBay - full kit - £50);

Sorted the passenger foot-well water ingress (Isopon liquid rubber is amazing);

Rebuilt the engine as previous owner had fitted a s/h vvti pulley which was leaking oil;

Sorted the rear wheel arches including completely rust proofing the underside of the car as well;

Fitted new front and rear speakers;

Sorted (via auto electrician) the seat belt pre-tensioner light (would not go out and failed MOT on it);

Replaced headlight & sidelight bulbs with new whiter, brighter bulbs and cleaned headlamps;

So - questions:

1. On the MOT this time it states that the coil springs and shockers are corroding (advisories) and I am looking at replacing them with Bilstein B3 springs (£120 full set) and shocks. Recommendations please?!

Update: Purchased GMax suspension (shocks/springs) from PumaBuild for £215. Separately purchased the top mounts and spring vibration dampers.

2. Should I / do you think it is worth replacing all of the bushes (Flo-Flex) at the same time?

Update: Purchased PSB bushes for the rear beam and FloFlex for the wishbones and anti-roll bar. Also purchased new anti-roll bar links / track rod ends and tie bars.

3. I am upgrading the ICE Head Unit with the X-Trons single din (reversing camera model) - I have all the parts (just waiting on the camera) - what is the best position for the camera and as a wired camera - is it wise to run the cable down the l/h or r/h side of the car?

Update: Purchased an Xtrons D302 headunit and Xtrons reversing camera and mounted the camera above the number plate. With some discreet drilling / rubber grommets / cabling (ran cable down LH side of car - camera looks like it has been there forever.

4. I have a grating noise coming from the steering wheel at low speed. I have taken the cowling off in the past and wd40 it but it has come back - can I use spray grease or what is recommended?

Update: Sorted - courtesy of ProjectPuma.

5. The door cards are rattling - I have fitted all new clips when I changed the door cards over. However are there any tips that would help reduce the rattle (new design of clips; clips from a different car maybe; soundproofing, etc)?

Update: Purchased off eBay some Puma trim clips (all in ones) and when pushed home they lock tight. I have also soundproofed the doors with SilentCoat bitumen and 30mm acoustic foam.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

regards,

Aml.

Hello Aml.

1. I've no experience other than standard so can't provide comment other than the Eibach dealer option was popular.
2. Many mixed reviews ranging from polyflex them all to just replace with rubber again. Ride becomes harsher over standard with one of the wishbone bushes (rear I believe)
3. No idea but doubt it makes much of a difference on which side.
4. There is a guide to take the wheel off and grease the rear contacts.
5. Find what is rattling and secure it properly, I don't remember my door cards rattling.

Good luck :grin:

#3. Monitor wire is easier if run down the left-hand side, then out through the number plate hole/grommet. Camera live feed is taken off the reversing light cable and the earth can be anywhere suitable.

I fitted mine (rectangular camera with IR) neatly between the bumper number plate lights, but had to heavily modify the original fitting. Plus, luckily, I was fitting a new rear number plate anyway, as the original was very faded. I lowered the new plate by 15mm and all was fine, but you can see how tight things were there?

Doing it again, I would fit a round (must be an adjustable position type) camera straight into the rear bumper.

Hi Guys,

The rear number plate does require replacing - so I'll get that done and move it down a touch. The camera is the Xtrons wired one that matches to the head unit.

With regards to the suspension - I am looking for deals on springs, shocks and bushes and get them replaced all at the same time.

I can only comment on the flo-flex think they've had a couple of names in the past anyway ive got the rear bushings from flo-flex cant fault them a fair few thousand miles done with them fitting an all is still the same also got them on my 330ci bmw an again cant fault them at all just use plenty of copper slip/grease when fitting an all should be ok, there definitely more solid than the metalastic bushes that they replaced so you get a bit more of a harsh ride but not at all uncomfortable ride quality. just my experience with them.

hi and great to see another puma being restored

1. On the MOT this time it states that the coil springs and shockers are corroding (advisories) and I am looking at replacing them with Bilstein B3 springs (£120 full set) and shocks. Recommendations please?!

Bilsteins do tend to be popular as do the ap coilovers also, but saying what another member said so do Eibach very hard to get though now I believe

2. Should I / do you think it is worth replacing all of the bushes (Flo-Flex) at the same time?

Ive you was to do bushes personally I would change the lot Flo flex you will find are cheaper than power flex and just as good think about £86 for complete set off flo flex

3. I am upgrading the ICE Head Unit with the X-Trons single din (reversing camera model) - I have all the parts (just waiting on the camera) - what is the best position for the camera and as a wired camera - is it wise to run the cable down the l/h or r/h side of the car?

If was me (but ive Its not) would run down centre by handbrake then turn in middle and either right or left it and come down bumber. Butt

4. I have a grating noise coming from the steering wheel at low speed. I have taken the cowling off in the past and wd40 it but it has come back - can I use spray grease or what is recommended?

No idea no this sorry, perhaps google it

5. The door cards are rattling - I have fitted all new clips when I changed the door cards over. However are there any tips that would help reduce the rattle (new design of clips; clips from a different car maybe; soundproofing, etc)?

Door cards ratting might not be a clip problem, but where the door clips insert too, there is like a black insert, these tend to be broken as I found on mine, but struggling to find them, in some case the a fiesta maybe clips from there

I hope this helps and good luck

Update:

Got my Puma back today after being in the CMC Motors, Folkestone for 4 days.

Had the following work carried out:

>> G-Max suspension all round (c/w new top mounts and spring vibration dampers for the fronts);

>> Replaced the rear beam bushes with PSB Bushes;

>> Replaced the anti-roll bar bushes and top & bottom wishbone bushes with Flo-Flex bushes;

>> Replaced the anti-roll bar links, track rod ends and tie bars and re-tracked the car;

>> Replaced the Clutch Pedal Master Cylinder and main hose (as hydraulic fluid was leaking all over the floor).

I supplied the parts and the total cost was £450.

Back