My Milli has been condemned!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeleyes

Ok decided to have early MOT (not due until 14 June)....and my darling Milli X reg failed on emissions .....and wiper blades! Any ideas....is it worth looking further into this or is it valve end stems, cat, ??????? Help! I love my Bea!

angeleyes :(

Hi
If it's not failed on rust you've done really well. The wipers are no problem and the failed emissions could be a number of things which, hopefully won't cost you too much to repair at a friendly local garage if you can't do the work yourself.
Barry

Consider getting it scanned to help pin down the problem

It might just be the lambda sensor or the cat needs replacing

My emissions were borderline when I had my MOT done. The garage owner said it was probably caused by a lazy lambda

Thank you. You have raised my hopes. I have booked it into local garage already for scanning to detect more precisely next Thursday. I bought her for £700 three years ago...few teething problems but have had all coolant pipes replaced, ABS replaced, new headlights, new coil and leads....and a few other sundries. She runs like a dream but just coughing every now and again.....fuel consumption good. Has a rocker gasket leak but not major. I don't want to let her go yet and if a repair was not what I have been told in the scary stories of £1000 I would carry on. There aren't many Millis left on the road.

How about a central leak from valve stems? How much should I pay for that....and then what might be found as a mechanic goes that deep is my worry. It just wouldn't be worth going in there without doing all that needs done while they were there?

A bit more hopeful for scanning now tho:)
angeleyes

143000.....lots but my feeling is another year is worth a fix depending on how much it will cost. I am going to look at air filter today and possibly take it out before scanning......it could make a difference with more air getting to mix. Think would certainly reduce emissions?

angeleyes

I'm no expert, but I guess a new air filter, and a set of spark plugs may well help

I read giving the car a brisk drive down the motorway immediately before an MOT can help, I don't know how true that is though.

It may be worth having a compression test done as well.

Oh and if you have to have a new / refurbed head don't forget to get your cambelt and tensioner renewed as well :eek:k:

Also in regard to cost and expenditure you shouldn't think just in terms of getting 1 more year out of it, if the body is solid you could get years and years out of it yet. Also consider a replacement engine even a rebuilt / refurbed one one

Save it if you can, we need "millies" sadly when they get MOTd some cars sit at tickover for so long it screws the emissions readings, probably more so with the Puma as it runs for so long without really heating up...cold engine= more emissions, if you can, cane it a bit before its test, might make a little difference.
If needed replacement engine will be a solution because so long as there is no rust as said above you have a keeper.

Hello:(
Thought I would list readings from test. Lambda readings were showing lower though not massively. Have read that that could mean low air/fuel mix?
My Millie is X reg with 143000 on clock.

CO 3.7%
HC 271ppm

then second

CO 4.2%
HC 291ppm

Could this, hopefully, be a cat converter problem or is it an internal problem?
I am taking her for a scan on Wednesday but am feeling quite nervous bout result. These emissions are high! Did the Italian tune up yesterday....did 110 miles with redex applied to full tank of fuel.....don't know when to expect results if there are going to be any.

Any ideas please?

angeleyes

It's running too rich & overfuelling

1) What was the lambda reading?
2) Check and replace if the air Filter looks dirty.
3) When was the oil & oil filter last changed? (Dirty oil has petrol fumes in it ,that will increase the C0 emissions.)
4) check the lambda connector for corrosion at the bulkhead, and clean with wd40 or an electrical contact cleaner
5) run some injector cleaner through with the petrol

The correct values for the Puma are in The section called 'The Anexe@ on Page 39 of the following info:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...t_data/file/194133/Emissions_17th_Edition.pdf

Thanks for your response. She was serviced in February/March this year......full oil change, oil filter, air filter. Is redex injector cleaner? If it is I added recommended amount to full tank on Sunday......and have now done 230 miles. What difference should I note and when would I notice it please?
The lambda reading was 0.911 on first fast idle and 0.878 on second.

angeleyes

Not sure about the redex, it used to be just an additive that supposedly kept carbon at bay in the head and ports I think. If it's an old tin or bottle it could cause harm as silicone knackers lambda sensors and lead damages cats. I should read the can/bottle for further info. What DOH is suggesting is a proper petrol injector cleaner but someone once told me that injector cleaner could damage the nikasil liners in this engine I don't know for sure but on a normal injected engine I would probably run injector cleaner through it every couple of years. Air filter/oil filter change all good advice as well.
Barry

The Lambda readings are out , plug in the diagnostic and check if it's showing a fault code. they have a lifespan of approx 120K, the cars exceeded this now, unless its previously been changed, assuming the air cleaner is ok and the lambda plug connector by the bulkhead isn't corroded( the pins often go powdery white due to damp corrosion, that will then give poor lambda readings, resulting also in high co &HC readings.

Redex is used for other issues but not the correct product for cleaning the injectors , as tuonokid refers to.

With regard to using the correct injector cleaner please refer to my previous post ,

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15126&hilit=injector+cleaner+wynns

Both STP &Wynns injector cleaner works well and the manufacturer informed me is safe to run with nikasil lined cylinder bores

Back