MR2 - Bargain basement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Arch Bishop

Well, after making a grown up decision earlier in the year to cut down on my project car habits, I've just gone and bought another one.

I have history with Toyota MR2s having had 2 mk1's years back. When a stricken MOT-fail mk3 popped up for sale in my Gumtree alerts just 2 miles away, I decided it was probably worth a look.

Ok, it was an early car so no six-speed box and more of a chance of a grenade engine (early ones can have issues with bore ovaling and ingesting their own catalytic converters), but it had managed 120k miles over the last 17 years so what the hell.

I phoned up over my lunch break to be told that there were two people in front of me in the pecking order, but I could come and take a look after the first guy had been that evening. Oh well, never mind. In the lap of the Gods. At 7pm, the seller messaged me to say that the first guy was a no-show and the second guy was haggling before he'd even seen the car, so I was welcome to come and take a look. At 8pm and in monsoon conditions, I arrived to give it a look over and was amazed by what I found.

The car was in fantastic condition with very few marks on the body, recently refurbished wheels, decent tyres, new brakes (now a bit scaled up after having stood), all three keys and a bulging Toyota history file. Mine for £500 if I wanted it.

Well I did want it - body and seat colour combination was nice - Silver with red leather - the roof was in great condition with no leaks (it was wizzing it down so I would have known if not), it had aircon and the engine sounded nice and fit (if you ignored the wildly rattling heat shields).

I had a bit of cash put aside for buying a Playstation 4 Pro, but cars are more fun so I payed a deposit to the very nice seller and the next day brought the rest the following day. He then drove it over to my place - deal done.

Time for the pictures then (lots of them);

35163267885_01970ca918_c.jpg

34998178472_0e1e100894_c.jpg

35163267685_cb8db2ff9a_c.jpg

34776670660_8576dc77d1_c.jpg

34353433723_354e19f226_c.jpg

34318126244_e90c68462e_c.jpg

34776669910_ecee5a9a1d_c.jpg

35163267565_698d0a12a2_c.jpg

34318126434_49512603d8_c.jpg

34776670230_bdd73c94e7_c.jpg

34776670010_2f40776a4e_c.jpg

34776670130_1b0491259f_c.jpg

35163268335_81cb0d1c2a_c.jpg

34776671090_f9613db414_c.jpg

So, the bad bits...

It's an MOT fail, but only on one item - a badly rusted rear sub frame. Luckily, this is a bolt-in panel so replacement isn't a massive job. There are no other MOT issues other than a windscreen wiper that needs replacing.

The clutch is a little high - may well be a characteristic as my old Toyota's were always the same even with new parts.

Heat shield is rattling like a devil until it warms up.

It's been well-loved and maintained but not well cleaned - everything is grubby and the paint is a bit flat.

It has a full history up until three years ago due to the seller having done less than 3,000 miles in the last three years. Will still need an oil change.

That's all I can really find until I drive it, but ultimately it seems like a decent buy.

Looks alright that Lee but the seats are a bit....bright :) Are you starting a rear/mid engined collection?
Barry

Yeah, they look a bit lairy in the photos! They are more a burgundy in the flesh.

As for the middy collection - yes, although I think most other cars with the configuration are a bit pricier! Certainly,a windfall would put a S1 Lotus Elise on the driveway. :grin:

Love it :grin:

A bargain at that price. There was a good eulogy on Pistonheads last month too:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-japanesecars/toyota-mr2-catch-it-while-you-can/36230

Let's hope it is a bargain - tracking down a cross member is not going to be easy unless I fork out on a new part - £350-ish. Still, I'm in no rush.

Ultimately, breaking it should recoup the purchase price very easily, although I don't think it'll come to that.

It's a nice little thing though!

Awesome Lee! The only way I can top that is finding a MK1 in the same condition for the same price../

Wow that's a nice car for such little money. Looks lovely and hope the sub frame is easy to fix. You must have a very understanding wife. Mine just about tolerates me having my Puma as a 2nd car, but she would divorce me if I got another one :) Anyway - enjoy it

Will

She's very understanding indeed, and I did do the full 'are you sure it's OK?' first. She was fine with it. Says it's just my thing! :grin:

What a bargain. These are great little cars. Had 2 of them previously.

There's a guy who breaks mr2's on eBay called dick2ski. Could probably get a decent subframe from him.

Quite a few good mods available for them if you're in to that.

mattbrown82 said:
[post]363369[/post] What a bargain. These are great little cars. Had 2 of them previously.

There's a guy who breaks mr2's on eBay called dick2ski. Could probably get a decent subframe from him.

Quite a few good mods available for them if you're in to that.

That would be Dick Sloan at a guess - He reckoned decent replacements were few and far between and couldn't help, but there's a few about with other sellers. I'm going to see if the existing one can be welded first to save a bit of money and get it road-worthy again. Then I can find a decent replacement (or save up for a new one) and rust proof it.

I'm not going to get much/any time for sorting this weekend, but having looked around the car, there's nothing much to complain about. Everything works, no leaks from the hood, seems extremely sound. I have ordered some new windscreen wipers as that's the only other MOT note.

I've also sorted through the mounds of history. Service history that I have proof for goes up to 2012 so it does need a good checking over and service, but couldn't be happier with it really!

That's the guy. They come up for sale on the MR2roc forum from time to time as well.

Hope you have fun with it :grin:

Right, well it was an utter &@%## to remove, but the sub frame did come off. It's not in a good way!

35354800442_436f61f5c5_o.jpg

35354800542_aef9069b1e_o.jpg

Can't get this repaired so I'm going to look in to buying a new one. Not sure whether to even bother trying to remove the arms from it! They don't even move in their bushes so it looks like the bolt is rusted to the bush.

All good fun!

It's a real Achilles heal on these. The spot where it's rusted through is exactly where the Cat' sits on the car so it gets super-heated. The whole rest of it is solid as you like!

Just a thought on this problem, have you tried contacting an importer of Japanese Engines or even spare parts?
As they may well be able to order that part for you on their next monthly shipment.
There's quite a few people importing Subaru and Evo bits that may also be able to help.

Also contact the Toyota Enthusiasts club (T.E.C). Put up a wanted post.

Latest posts

Back