My Puma,s sound system

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn_

The past few weeks ive been on upgrading my sound system in my Ford Puma. Its mostly just stuff I have had lying about.

I fitted two 8inch subs in the rear speaker pods.I put the 6x9s in ages ago.

took the pods apart.

Cut the hole out for the sub.

Found the ideal place to mount the amp.

Used big washers to hold it in place.

Fitted back in the Puma.

The head unit.

I got these speakers after xmas for 20 quid from Halfords. There a bloody good speaker compared to the sonys I fitted.

the old sony speakers.

So yeh it sounds ok and can defo feel the bass.
A pic of the trusty Puma after I washed it today.

Good stuff! Noticeably better sound now?

Its defo better. There is bass now. Ive got a good sound system in the wifes focus and its not as good as that. Her focus has a proper bass box in though.

To add to wild e. Coyote's post, did you seperate the woofer and 6x9's? I found that whit the woofer, and speeker in the same space, the speaker was abused by the woofer. An a totaly rubish sound was hadm at high volume. After the seperating wal was put in, it was a whole different story :)

Wild: I used window glue to seal the gap between the woofer, and the box on mine, and builders foam to build a wall innside, to seperate the woofer, and speaker.

Nice neat job but I'm afraid I never did see the point of having your insides rattled as you drive :-(

Of course it could just be my age :grin:

I was going to replace the rear speakers in my puma and I was told it was very involved to change them. how hard are they to change ?? thank you in advance. I have 6" jl audio speakers in the front and two 12" subs in the back very bassy but would like to change rear speakers

I done this modification to my rear speaker boxes, the subs sounded awful :( how u managed to make it sound good i will never know!

I didnt separate the speakers in the pods. It sounds ok and I didnt use any dinamat stuff.

I think i've seen some interiors with extra speaker grills for the subs. Is that the case here or are they just mounted without any holes in to the cabin?

I think if you separate the speaker enclosures you will get alot better bass since now the 6x9 react as a slave base out of syck. that will cause horrible distortion. also try to take out resonances and sound leakage in the boxes. you want the speakers to play the music. not the box. Just try nocking on them. thats the color of sound you'll get when playing in them.

It sounds ok but later on I might try to separate the sub and 6x9s to see if its any better.
What did you use to block/cordon the speakers off.

i have not done this job to my rear speaker bins yet. still only 6x9s in them. but I've built many car, hifi and pa-speakers. if you build a hi-fi speaker individual speaker sealing is of great importance.

Some here have used builders foam but anything hard enough to withstand deflection should do. laminated wood is among the best sounding materials (if you rule out concrete and other heavy materials) to build speaker boxes from.

sound deadening in boxes is important since reflected sound (in doors for example) is reflected back through the speaker cone and back to the listener. Easy test is to remove the speaker and shout in the hole. if it sounds acoustically dead it's good. otherwise the reflections will colorize the sound quite a bit. Worst case is that you have hard peaking resonances that causes ringing in certain frequencies. Sound like that is hard to listen to for a long time.

Your build looks good don't get me wrong :) but the boxes need to match the speakers. Nothing sounds better than the weakest link.

addition of a correctly calculated bas port could give you a bump up in lower frequencies but the drop of is steeper than in a sealed enclosure.

Cool thanks for that top info. Looks like im taking the back of the car apart again lol.

Most important is that you are satisfied with the sound.
There are endless tweaks to do but at some point it has to be enough and a car is hardly the best listening environment to begin with. :)

I love my tunes. Every car I have ever owned has had a decent sound system with amps and subs.

xztraz speaks the truth :) listen to him :)

As I'we said before, I'we done this to mine, and it sound's quite good (imo) I also tdid a port on the woofer.

Right now the amp is letting me a litle down, got a second hand one, and one of the signal conectors is bad, and it can periodicaly fall out :( bahhh, and I mounted my amps under my seats :) lol

Back