need brains

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhillbilly17

Hi guys i need your brains,ive bought this new dti gauge but can't work out how to read it :oops:
if anyone could tell me how to work out what its reading in mm that would be great :eek:k:

its a run out gauge
you clamp it solid with the pin against a shaft or disc etc.
the bezel should rotate to zero the gauge...
Then, rotate the shaft etc and the gauge shows (in mm) how much run out there is.

simples...

madhillbilly17 said:
lol i know what it does thats why i brought it :) its the measurement scale i can't work out

It depends which way it deflected from zero :)

It measures deflections of up to 10mm with a resolution of 0.01mm. The major scale runs 10,20,30 etc and is equal to 1mm, 2mm, 3mm and so on. The tick marks between measure tenths of a millimetre. The minor scale measures hundredths of mm.

thanks for the reply,so its reading just over 1.4mm? from what i can make out the small dial lets you know how many full turns the big needle has done.

madhillbilly17 said:
thanks for the reply,so its reading just over 1.4mm? from what i can make out the small dial lets you know how many full turns the big needle has done.

Ah. In that case I was all wrong :). The little dial is full millimetres. The big dial is hundredths of a millimetre.

The reading is therefore 0.145mm

madhillbilly17 said:
i say ive got it lol,wouldn't that read 0.14mm? not 0.145mm is it 100 to 1mm (1 full turn)

I put 0.145 as the needle is halfway between 0.14 and 0.15 :)

It has been a while since I went to school :p

0.145mm.
Each small graduation is 0.01mm and there's 14 of them therefore 0.14, and it's halfway (ish) between the 4 and 5 making it 0.145mm.
The small dial is showing 0 -10 mm, and the needle is less than 20% of the way around the dial between the 0 and 1, making it less than 0.2mm or about 0.008 inches (8 thou)

Kungfugerbil said:
madhillbilly17 said:
i say ive got it lol,wouldn't that read 0.14mm? not 0.145mm is it 100 to 1mm (1 full turn)

I put 0.145 as the needle is halfway between 0.14 and 0.15 :)

It has been a while since I went to school :p

thank you mate you a great help

hotrodspike said:
0.145mm.
Each small graduation is 0.01mm and there's 14 of them therefore 0.14, and it's halfway (ish) between the 4 and 5 making it 0.145mm.
The small dial is showing 0 -10 mm, and the needle is less than 20% of the way around the dial between the 0 and 1, making it less than 0.2mm or about 0.008 inches (8 thou)

lol thank you got it sussed out now

Back