New Key

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulZ

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding getting a new key.

I have 1 master key and 1 3 button key.

Can i buy one of these ebay uncut key fobs, get it cut then program it to unlock my car.
reason i ask is because iv just popped into timpson who say that it doesnt work like that and the extra fee is for programing the micro chip to the ECU so it will start the car.

Seemed like a bit of an excus to me but wanted to double check.

for Ref i was told £45 to supply and cut a standard no button key then £120 for a 3 button key.

Cheers
Paul Z

If you have 2 keys that start your car then you can programme a new key yourself, sounds like the timpsons guy was extracting the urine

Programming the central locking is very easy, programming the immobiliser chip is something else entirely. Unless i am mistaken (not uncommon) it can only be done at a Ford dealer. Some internet research will give a more definitive answer.

TGPlayer1 said:
Programming the central locking is very easy, programming the immobiliser chip is something else entirely.
Correct. Programming central locking is a 5 minute job.

TGPlayer1 said:
Unless i am mistaken (not uncommon) it can only be done at a Ford dealer. Some internet research will give a more definitive answer.
:)

My car only came with one key. I had a new key supplied, cut and programmed (unlock doors and start engine) £33 from a local locksmith shop.

Btw - Timpsons are fools and expensive fools at that - avoid.

Btw2 - I wonder where the best place to keep the spare key is? I keep mine at home (and so does everyone else I know) But, if you think about it, if you lost your main key when you're out, then you should really have the spare with you for it to be of any use?

TGPlayer1 said:
.......................... Unless i am mistaken (not uncommon) it can only be done at a Ford dealer.......................
As oilburner says, "If you have 2 keys that start your car then you can programme a new key yourself."

Thanks guys, I thought this was the case.
Will try a local lock smith rather than a nationwide one and see if i can get it working that way.

Just to clarify:
i Should be able to take one of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Button-433MHZ-Remote-Mondeo-Fiesta/dp/B00OXWZ060/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1430236913&sr=8-15&keywords=3+button+ford+key+fob" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

get it cut and then use the guide on the forum for reprogramming a key and then job done?

Paul Z

That's handy cheers I need one too

Incidentally I popped in a local branch yesterday & they said that big cost was for the blank they said if I brought my own they'd do it for 2 quid

Btw take a photo of your key & workout the code from it too just for emergency s

Could u post me the link when u buy one r they not cheaper on USA Amazon I need to get some rust converter from there it's miles cheaper if u spend to get free delivery too?

Cheers

Gez

Ps Tom tgplayer1 have u got any spare 3 button gobs from past breakers still around too?

I have one spare, it's complete but needs a new switch for one of the central locking buttons. And also it's got a cut blade.

Latest posts

Back