New Puma owner.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReDBull2345

Hello everyone. I bought a red X reg Puma last week from a lady who had owned it for the last ten years. It seems to be in good condition 69000 miles and has FSH.
Havering driven it I'm happy with the handling intact very pleased with the chassis. The engine just feels like its flow is being restricted. So I'm think a K&N panel filter and possibly a full exhaust with de cat. I don't want anything to loud though if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks.

Welcome

Despite it having a FSH I'd still check the current air and fuel filters and change if necessary. Very cheap to change if they're due a change and can make a difference.

The same goes for plugs and leads, usually always the first thing I change on every new car I get.

The Puma usually always suffers from an oily/clogged up MAF element so take that off the car and spray some brake cleaner down it to clean up the element (do NOT touch it with anything).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I'm sure more advice will come along soon :thumbs:

:grin: hey there, welcome! Enjoy every minute in your new Kat :grin:

Thanks for the welcomes :grin:

yippeekiay said:
Welcome

Despite it having a FSH I'd still check the current air and fuel filters and change if necessary. Very cheap to change if they're due a change and can make a difference.

The same goes for plugs and leads, usually always the first thing I change on every new car I get.

The Puma usually always suffers from an oily/clogged up MAF element so take that off the car and spray some brake cleaner down it to clean up the element (do NOT touch it with anything).

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I'm sure more advice will come along soon :thumbs:

I've been looking at changing the plugs and leads as there's a slight hesitation on part throttle. I'll probably buy a K&N panel filter and do the FRP air box mod as well.
What plugs and leads are recommended? I've been looking at the magnecor plug leads and NGK spark plugs.
Also steering wheel has melted at 3 and 9 o'clock so that'll need replacing.

Here's a photo of my new wheels.
null_zps4c3a003e.jpg

Here's a photo of what it's replacing.
null_zpsc443c4e8.jpg

null_zps8a48fbac.jpg

Just cleaned the MAF a checked the air filter both looked nice and clean. Also while I was at it I removed this.
null_zps17bd58fc.jpg

Welcome to Project Puma,with regared to changing to a K&N filter it will probably not make much improvement if fitted in the standard air box. I have used these before and they do not come into their own untill other engine mods are made, such as head, camshaft or any mod that requires greater air delivery than a standard engine. Use the cash to service standard parts for standard engines. Its always more cash effective to get what you have got to run correctly in the first place. I know I have been down this road. Good luck and enjoy your Puma.
Regards
Richard Mansfield.

have you tryed cleaning the steering wheel at the 3 and 9 positions? mine looked like it was melted and it turned out to be a large build up of dead skin :roll:

Back