New Puma, problem the first. Radiator fan not working (maybe

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandel

Hi all,

First problem on the new Puma (Boy it's going to be expensive to get her into shape) the radiator fan doesn't appear to be working.

It might just not have hit the appropriate temperature but when I got out from my spin I noticed the engine was very hot and the radiator fan was not moving. I turned on the engine and again, it was not moving.

With that said, the temp gauge stayed solidly in the middle so perhaps it's alright? I bloody hope so because boy are they expensive.

Would appreciate your thoughts!

This is how my Fan/Temperature Gauge performs:
Temperature Gauge Operation:
My Puma is a 2001-2, I got the following results using a ScanGauge II:
This is starting from cold, heater control set to Max, no fan speed on and car stationary.
- Ran engine at around 2000 - 2250 rpm.
- Needle had moved to middle of temperature gauge at approximately 87°C.
- Continued with the revs and the fan cut in at 109 - 110°C.
- Let the revs drop down to tick-over and the fan stopped running at 103 - 104°C.
During this process, the temperature gauge needle remained in the middle position (no movement at all).

YOG said:
This is how my Fan/Temperature Gauge performs:
Temperature Gauge Operation:
My Puma is a 2001-2, I got the following results using a ScanGauge II:
This is starting from cold, heater control set to Max, no fan speed on and car stationary.
- Ran engine at around 2000 - 2250 rpm.
- Needle had moved to middle of temperature gauge at approximately 87°C.
- Continued with the revs and the fan cut in at 109 - 110°C.
- Let the revs drop down to tick-over and the fan stopped running at 103 - 104°C.
During this process, the temperature gauge needle remained in the middle position (no movement at all).

Do you recall how long it took to hit 109 degrees?

From the sounds of this, it's probably ok. I'd come off of the back of a motorway run at low revs and then 4th gear low revs to my house from the Mway (3 miles ish) so it might be ok!

Thank you very much for the information, very helpful :)

YOG said:
Zinfandel said:
Do you recall how long it took to hit 109 degrees?
I'm guessing, around 10/12 minutes.

Hmm.

Apologies for being such an epic noob.

Is there any way I can check this? I've never used a laptop to connect to a car and to be honest wouldn't know where to start!

You can check if the fan relays are at least operational.
Run engine and put the A/C on. The rad fan should cycle on and off at low speed.
Under the coil pack there should be an electrical plug. This is connected to the coolant sensor and sends temperature info to the ECU. Unplugging this connector should put the rad fan on full speed.

If the low speed part of the circuit fails, due to faulty relay or some other problem, the cooling system should default the rad fan to full speed, irrespective of whether you are running the A/C or whatever.

SENATEpumA said:
You can check if the fan relays are at least operational.
Run engine and put the A/C on. The rad fan should cycle on and off at low speed.
Under the coil pack there should be an electrical plug. This is connected to the coolant sensor and sends temperature info to the ECU. Unplugging this connector should put the rad fan on full speed.

If the low speed part of the circuit fails, due to faulty relay or some other problem, the cooling system should default the rad fan to full speed, irrespective of whether you are running the A/C or whatever.

Brilliant, thanks very much for this. It's working just fine!

Latest posts

Back