new style mot

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyhyper

working in the car trade,was at a garage tday and notced on the new mot certificates that get issued THEY NOW HAVE THE ADVISORIES PRINTED ASWELL.so if you get stopped for say a routine check and they obtain your details from the anpr database and say you had an advisory for low tyre treads a month before at mot time then i think mr officer might just be getting his tyre tread depth gauge tool out.or worse having it fully inspected at police garage testing facility.

They have the advisories printed on the MOT certificate?? Must be very recent as I got my Rover MOT'd on Friday and it had nothing, though they have been issuing a separate printed advisory sheet since the printed VT20's started.
Big brother is well and truly watching.

no mate it used to be green for new certificate then amber for advisories and red means fail.think the failure list went on the mot computer aswell.

You might also be interested to know what the AA in Cardiff told me last week when I was talking to them about an insurance policy.
You may be aware they act like a broker for different insurance companies.
He said that some insurance companies, after you have had an accident, are now requesting copies of MOT's so they can check what mileage you do between them. If they find you doing more than declared in your policy, they are either charging for the excess, or voiding the policy.
Won't be long before Insurance companies link direct to the MOT database.

yeah heard that aswell,but accidents can happen anytime.a lad at work years back used the van without permission to do a mile trip to get a paper one sunday morning,a guy in a stolen car came flying through a t/junction writing of the van so he lost his job as the insurance didnt cover the van on sundays.

andyhyper said:
yeah heard that aswell,but accidents can happen anytime.a lad at work years back used the van without permission to do a mile trip to get a paper one sunday morning,a guy in a stolen car came flying through a t/junction writing of the van so he lost his job as the insurance didnt cover the van on sundays.

Not doubting your story,but if the van had been parked outside his house ( on the road) then would it still 'not be insured' if hit ?

Ok staff can't use works transport for 'private use',thats fine , but I have never seen a policy that only covers x/y/z days of the week.

Indeed with the recent change in the law requiring cover at all times you could not do this now .

As for 'advisory' on an mot , as the mot only covers the car 'at the time its tested' then it would be hard for plod to use it in prosecution. It would however guide the tester at the next mot if said problems still existed !

In our local garage where I had my cars MOT done last week, there was a poster advertising that they'll be changing soon to include previous mileages (to help stop clocking) and advisories on one page rather than the current 2. The current MOT has a box saying "Has an advisory been issued?" so if you see that and there is no sheet 2, you know something is a miss.

You can always check yourself anyway with the correct information to start:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok staff can't use works transport for 'private use',thats fine , but I have never seen a policy that only covers x/y/z days of the week.

My old work policy said it covered you for business opening hours only, and that it had to be parked at certain locations (ie bosses homes) when not left at the business address. Business (especially motor trader policies) are a minefield of loopholes for the crafty insurers to slip out of paying out.

Robbing b******s!

I didn't realise either that as soon as a car is shown uninsured, if it isn't SORNd they send out a fine now.

That's a good thing though, will hopefully mean less uninsured idiots on the road.

Interesting the tricks and fiddles they pull to get more cash and or get out of cover !!

Motor trade policy !!! grrrr Just try getting a car collection insured now in light of the 'new' law !!

dont see the problem with the new mot.

The police arent going to be wasting thier time inspecting extra vehicles because of MoT advisories. For a start the ANPR database is not being updated so will still only show the basic MoT Data. They will have to request the extra data if you dont have certificate on you.

Most coppers will "smell" something is up long before they get to an advisory list so for you and I it will make no difference whatsoever as law abiding motorists.

Will also help vehicle resales too as people cant take a car through mot, have pages and pages of advisorys then throw it in the bin so a slghtly naive buyer doesnt realise he has a time bomb for the next mot. Openness on such things is a good thing. Also means for people like us who take pride in thier cars, you can show your mot, advisorys and a paper trail showing the advisories being repaired.

Back