Newbie from Somerset with Puma problem...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matsui92

Hi there, Im Matt, I live in Somerset, and have a Ford Puma 1.7 Thunder in Magnum grey.

I brought my much loved Puma almost 6 months ago now, have had to do little to it really, (my other car is a Suzuki SJ- and requires a fair bit of maintainence often). An ABS snesor has been renewed, clutch and driveshaft seals renewed, and rear arches repaired and resprayed. Oil is leaking, parcel shelf has lost a string, and it also has an odd rear door card. Apart from that she's a gooden... or atleast was.

About a month ago, maybe 6 weeks, a strange sound started. At first I thought it was the exhaust baffles, as the sound was a loud rattle/clatter. Upon closer inspection the noise was coming from the cambelt side of the engine. A quick look at the belt (moving the plastic cover back far enough to just about see, but not removing it completely due to one bolt-GGGRRRRRR) and the belt looks good. And so I have driven her from then until yesterday, with this noise happening around 2000RPM and then eventually disappearing, and it got progressively louder and longer, lasting for down to 1000RPM up to 3500RPM. Due to being young and having a lot to learn, and little money, I failed to get it looked at. Yesterday, the engine developed a misfire, and cut out on me several times, and the engine management warning light finally lit up for the first time too, since the noise started. And then pulling away, with the loud noise occurring, she died, and will not restart.
Has anybody had this problem before, or can anybody advise me on any checks to do to help diagnose and fix my lovely puma?

Many thanks, Matt.

Welcome. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like the cambelt tensioner has gone, has pretty much the same effect as the belt breaking and you are looking at a rebuild or a low mileage secondhand engine

Ah.... And so a strip down that side should determine if the tensioner is kaputt then?
Checking plugs for spark, all 4 do, however cylinder 1 also created a bang sound, cyl 2 was normal, cyl 3 popped, and cyl 4 choked. Is this an indication of timing being out? With the plugs in, no dodgy sounds occurr while turning her over. Thanks for your feedback, most appreciated.

Unfortunately if your belt or tensioner has gone your not just talking about the timing being out unless your the luckiest person on the planet your talking about valves hitting pistons and putting holes in them bores getting scrapped valves bent etc. You have to get it looked at but as oilburner said your likely looking at a rebuild or replacement, personally I would have a replacement fitted.

Ok I'm slightly baffled now... Having done a compression test, with all 4 cylinders being zero, and popped the rocker cover off and visually inspecting cams, even turning it over without rocker cover on, everything seems ok. Fuel is getting up there, spark is there, but nothing comes to life when you go to start. I am yet to check any sensors. Am I right in thinking that, from what you've said, and how these are interference engines, that if cam belt or cam belt tensioner has gone, it wouldn't get as far as turning over?

If the tensioner has failed, the belt could have jumped a tooth or maybe more, causing the valve timing to be out.
This will explain the lack of compression. The camshafts will still be turning, as the belt is still intact.
As already stated, you will be very lucky if you have got away without valve/piston damage.
At best you will definitely need new belt and tensioner.
Paul

Thanks Paul. From looking at other posts with similar issues, I think it is safe to say that you guys ate right. Knowledge is power ey... Thanks very much in helping me point to the problem. I think I'm going to go down the route of changing engine, as a friend knows of one in a scrapyard. The work will be done myself, and so I'll be making use of any information on here. And so a big thankyou to everybody who has had an input to it. I can't seem to find a manual for the puma, and not sure if Haynes actually did one. Can anybody advise on that front?
Once I do my engine transplant, would anybody advise me not to upgrade components, like cams, fuel intake, on my broken engine, which I'd like to repair and improve. Seeing as it would be spare, sitting there with a few broken bits, would be rude not to have a tinker really in my opinion...

No there is no Haynes manual for the Puma. Try and find an engine that has provably had the cambelt and tensioner changed and can be heard running and be tested. IanG a member breaker might be your man :eek:k:

Back