Noise from suspension bushes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasybryn

My 1.7 Puma makes a noise at very low speed.
For example when I get it out of the garage.
But it happens going forward or back. Same noise.
I'm told the noise comes from worn bushes at the top of the suspension supports.
This allows them to move and rumble/squeak as the car moves.
Has anyone any experience of this please?
It sounds like an expensive repair.
Interestingly, doesn't seem to be an MOT issue.
But I guess these bushes will perish with time and new ones would make a difference to the tauntness of the handling as well.
Look forward to hearing what others may have experienced in this regard.
Thanks
IMG_5074.jpeg

Thanks John. I'm sure I read about it once being a common fault. Normal suspension bushes (link arms/lower arm) including the anti roll bar can compromise the ride and many change these I believe for Powerflex (Poly) upgraded bushes. But I believe these can make the suspension a bit too hard and unforgiving. OK for track but perhaps not not normal driving.

But what I'm talking about with my car is the top mount bushes (Front MacPherson struct top rubber cones)
and the rear top mount bushes supporting the rear beam I believe. To change these you have to remove the front strut assembly and drop the rear axle beam. All of this becomes quite expensive! I may have to bite the bullet and get it all done, but I don't think there will be much change out of £1000. The car should then ride and handle like new!!

I have used Griffin Classics Ltd in Calne (Marsh Industrial Estate, SN119PT). Pete Griffin is very enthusiastic and been working on most classics for years. There number is 01249249564.

Thanks John. I'm sure I read about it once being a common fault. Normal suspension bushes (link arms/lower arm) including the anti roll bar can compromise the ride and many change these I believe for Powerflex (Poly) upgraded bushes. But I believe these can make the suspension a bit too hard and unforgiving. OK for track but perhaps not not normal driving.

But what I'm talking about with my car is the top mount bushes (Front MacPherson struct top rubber cones)
and the rear top mount bushes supporting the rear beam I believe. To change these you have to remove the front strut assembly and drop the rear axle beam. All of this becomes quite expensive! I may have to bite the bullet and get it all done, but I don't think there will be much change out of £1000. The car should then ride and handle like new!!

I have used Griffin Classics Ltd in Calne (Marsh Industrial Estate, SN119PT). Pete Griffin is very enthusiastic and been working on most classics for years. There number is 01249249564.
It's not that much of a job to do the rear top mounts, apart from taking out the rear trim cards and you don't need to remove the axle.
I haven't done the front top mounts, but expect it be fairly simple. All provided you have a couple spring compressor tool of course. Just be aware of the potential danger of the spring when compressed, but I've never had the slightest problem.

Bushes and top mounts are certainly common for wear and noise as they get older, they aren't overly expensive to have replaced individually but if you're doing it all in one go at a garage it'd certainly add up.

I assume you've checked the spare wheel and tray to make sure it's not moving a little?

Hi. I have done all of these. Straightforward and easy provided right tools and equipment. For the rear lower arm bushes I did use standard replacements but would use poly bushes next time for ease of refitting. New bolts are a must the old ones can be cut and knocked out. saves a lot of time and head rounding due to rust. I did not have to remove brake cables or exhaust. It was just the two bolts.

My old 1.7 started knocking at the back, it sounded like the spare wheel was banging around, I removed the spare, but knocking was still there. Local garage was familiar with the sound, as common on Fiestas, he replaced "some bushes at the rear" and it was as good as new, very cheap to fix. Sorry I can't be more precise with the bush descriptions, I'm sure others here will know where they are and thier proper names.

Very many thanks everyone. It isn't the spare wheel but definitely the bushes. Pleased to hear it isn't too big a job and replacements are reasonable and importantly, available. Brilliant. The Forum works!!

My tuppence worth:

Rear beam bushes are a bit time consuming and annoying to fit because of difficulty of removing the old ones, although there are tools available that use a threaded rod with cups to push them out.

Don't assume Powerflex are the 'best' solution. It's a trade off between NVH and longevity (and ease of fitment as Richard M says).

The solid bushes give a harsher ride and more road noise. I slightly regret fitting them to mine, I'm tempted to drill some holes through them for more compliance. Oh, and mine still creak when I jack the car up.

I met a guy who rallies Puma/Fiesta and he said Powerflex were useless for motorsports and didn't last five minutes, standard bushes were the only thing that worked. Make of that what you will.

I ha e had powerflex all round for probably about 10 years My rear suspension and axle conventional bushes were shot before I replaced them so I can't really remember what they were like! I remember afterwards that it felt much better and tightened up.
I suppose the ride is quite firm but I don'tfind it uncomfortable. As for the noise,I had a Milltec exhaust fitted at the same time and I figured the noise was down to that.
I don't drive my Puma hard or rally it so I wouldn't know about Powerflex performance under those conditions but I find them fine for what I need and have not had to replace them yet.

Back