How to check if bushes are worn?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

HI

When I take a sharp left turn a bit faster than normally (+5mph) or when accelerating out of a roundabout(also left), I can hear this rattle-knocking noise coming from the rear right, behind driving seat. Sounds like a smurf quickly hitting the rear right side suspension a few times with a tiny hammer. Turning sharp to the right, driving fast straight or turning really slowly to the left is fine, no noise. I've done my research on the forum and on the net as well, most people suggest it most probably a worn bush.
I've seen a "how to check for worn bushes" video. There's the guy put a spanner between the axle(?) and the arm holding the bush. You could see the spanner moved quite easily, not much resistant. The rubber had gone completely. However on the Puma that arm holding the bush is between two metal parts, so there's no space to put the spanner, it wouldn't move unless that part rust out.

When I put pressure on the rear right side by hand, I don't hear anything. When I shake that side 6-8 times heavily, I can just hear a tiny sound, similar when mice talk in the cartoon.
I can hear that noise for months probably. I thought it was the loose heat protector, but fixing that didn't make the noise go. Few days ago the garage I like to go, swapped my tyres and they didn't say a thing.

So how can I check if the bushes are worn by eyes or with basic tools?
The landlord doesn't allow any DIY car fixing around the house, the gravel is too loose to lift the car with a jack as well.

Thanks.

Could also be a worn bush in the rear shock...easy check..grab the rear shock with your hand and see if it moves and makes a noise.
Quite hard to check movement in bushes with the car on the ground as well as the weight of the car will compress any excess movement, which is also why you will struggle to replecate the noise manually.

Garages will only make a comment if any movement is obvious or they need the work.

Other problem is I have never actually heard a smurf hitting anything with a hammer :grin:

zinc2000 said:
[post]356749[/post] Could also be a worn bush in the rear shock...easy check..grab the rear shock with your hand and see if it moves and makes a noise.
Quite hard to check movement in bushes with the car on the ground as well as the weight of the car will compress any excess movement, which is also why you will struggle to replecate the noise manually.

Garages will only make a comment if any movement is obvious or they need the work.

Other problem is I have never actually heard a smurf hitting anything with a hammer :grin:

Thanks for the reply. I've checked both rear shocks, I was shaking the bottom rod, the springs and that part through the rubber (not even a cut on any of them) like a madman, but nothing. Only just a soft old-bed-spring noise sometimes, probably just the handbrake holds the car. I'm afraid it's those hidden bushes, which can cost a lots of money :-(

By the way, it seems the surf has gotten a bigger hammer now. That noise felt a bit louder on my way home from work, perhaps I can hear it better now without music inside. At slow left turn there is still no noise though.

In my experience when the axle bushes are well worn you get a banging noise going over bumps.

"I'm afraid it's those hidden bushes, which can cost a lots of money :-("

How much is too much?

Stevecvo said:
[post]356758[/post] In my experience when the axle bushes are well worn you get a banging noise going over bumps.
I get some noise but not every time. It's like 1/3.

AshLaw said:
[post]356763[/post] "I'm afraid it's those hidden bushes, which can cost a lots of money :-("

How much is too much?
£170+. I've spent appr. £1300 on her in last 12 months, plus tax, ins., fuel etc, so I can't really spent too much now :-( Plus yesterday my Puma had developed a deeper sound at lower rpms...I was happy with it until I realized it a bit later, that is due a tiny hole on the exhaust pipe joints. Already ordered high temp. fix patch from eBay for £5.99. Better save than £30-50 at the garage.

AshLaw said:
[post]356778[/post] I assume the bushes your on about are the rear beam bushes?
Yes, I think so. I just don't know how to test them, to be sure.

Bushes are quite cheap, it is the labour that is the expense.

Make sure it is nothing else making a noise that is easy to check, e.g. exhaust and its rubber fittings or spare wheel rack not tightened.

When I needed my rear beam bushes replaced I used my local mechanic who replaced them for £50. I supplied them (PSB bushes).

Performance Puma charge £120 for PowerFlex Bush replacement.

Van_Dammesque said:
[post]356788[/post] Bushes are quite cheap, it is the labour that is the expense.

Make sure it is nothing else making a noise that is easy to check, e.g. exhaust and its rubber fittings or spare wheel rack not tightened.
All checked. Only heat protector loose a bit, that wouldn't make that much noise. Is there a way too check with atest, or only if its taken apart?

AshLaw said:
[post]356792[/post] When I needed my rear beam bushes replaced I used my local mechanic who replaced them for £50. I supplied them (PSB bushes).

Performance Puma charge £120 for PowerFlex Bush replacement.
If no other choice I'll for a quote from a garage I go. Thanks

Latest posts

Back