OBD/error code reader question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloopjohnrb

I own a 1962 Morris Minor, but do repairs and service on the cars of my Niece and Nephews etc.

My nephew, has a 1997, 1.7 Ford Puma, manual, petrol, a recent acquisition.

I have encountered OBD whilst working on the Puma in the last few months and have read up and researched as much as I can about it.

I'm thinking of buying a Gunson 77004 code reader-reset for use on Joseph's car-especially as the passenger seat had to be replaced recently (don't ask!} and the airbag warning light needs resetting.
The Gunson seems to be the best all-rounder as I would prob be using it on other Fords and a Vauxhall Corsa.

My question/worry is:

As it is a 1997 model Puma, is it too old a model of Puma to have an OBD system capable of being read/reset by the Gunson 77004?

Any suggestions in the OBD tool department gratefully received.

My Morris Minor doesn't have self-cancelling indicators-hey were an optional extra in 1962, apparently!
Best wishes
John

That tool is OBD-II compliant, so it'll be fine on a 1997 Puma.

OBD-II was the standard brought in for 96-onwards, prior to that it was OBD-I (obviously, lol)

I personally use http://www.autoenginuity.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but there are many options out there to choose from, depends how in-depth you wish to go with the tinkering

I have Scangauge plugged into my ECU.
I can read / reset faults and have a constant display of various things.
Speed, fuel economy. air intake temp etc.
DSC00091.jpg

Thank you for the information which is very helpful.

OBD tools are expensive so I wanted to check things out before spending a lot of money and gambling on things. Now I am much better informed.
Best wishes

Back