best bluetooth OBD reader

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenner2002

Hello all, sorry if this has been covered I did use the search fuction to look into this but i wasnt having much luck.

I just wanting to know what best OBD reader for my 1997 1.7 puma I dont want to spend massives just basic code reader. I have seen these them on Ebay for £5 to £15 been looking at one that tells you faults etc but also give you fuel, speed etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OBD2-ELM327-V1-5-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool-OBD-II-/111088326026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19dd61558a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

please let me know your feed back etc also post some links to different code readers that be great.
cheers in advance

Are you sure that 1997. puma has OBD port to begin with?

Regarding the rest of your post: all the OBD readers in that price range are the same (junk). Some of them work, some now and then, some not at all. The build quality is very low, I am affraid; they get hot very easily and given my experience with them I would now opt for an USB version (just because I haven't used it yet; I have two WiFi scanners and one never worked out of box, the other sometimes works, sometimes not)
The good and reliable ones are over 100 USD I am affraid

Have a look at:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=6472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=239250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll check I was just looking at them on laptop and wondered if they would work on my puma. I haven't done any work on mine for a while. Just planning ahead for next year track days etc.

I thought it if they work you could get some good information from about car etc isn't it either in centre at bottom of the dash or on passenger side near door isn't it?

But some times if things seem to too cheap it's usually to good to be true or buy cheap buy twice.

Cheers I will look at those links :)

My 2p worth...I got a cheap ebay obd reader and downloaded torque for my Samsung smart phone.... the download cost me a 5er I think and its class.. does everything I need and cost all up about 6 pints... happy days

I have a cheap one I bought years ago. It works on every other car other than my early Puma! It did state that it supported the Ford protocol, but then there's always the chance that I received one that just doesn't! For a couple of quid, they're worth a shot - it's saved me a fortune on my other cars at least!

Many cheap OBD2 readers don't support SAE J1850 PWM (Thats what the puma uses)

I got tired of the cheap ones and bought a obdlink mx (bluetooth). Data transfer is very good from that reader and it supports all protocols. even canbus. but i have some pairing problems with my pumpkin android headunit. The head unit kind of forgets the pairing. Can't blame the obd reader for that.

Latest posts

Back