Scanguage or similar

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm looking at maybe getting a scanguage or similar at some point, but need some advice on what to get.

I don't want anything too expensive.

I've read another topic on here, and it seems that getting one of these devices to work on the older Pumas is a bit of a headache... I have a '98

I've just been looking at these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TurboGaug..._Equipment&hash=item27c807307a#ht_5113wt_1162
Looks quite comprehensive and will give me more information about the car than I would need, but certainly ideal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-Univ..._Equipment&hash=item3376f6c836#ht_1583wt_1162
Seems a bit simple and not very useful.

I've messaged both sellers asking about compatibility with a '98 Puma but until I get a reply, any advice from out there in the forum world...?

I've got a ScanGuage II you can borrow to see if it does what you want mate.

IMG_0859.JPG

What does it do?

Coolant Temp?
TPS position/voltage?
Anything to do with fuel/usage/mileage?
Battery voltage?
Engine speed?
Vehicle speed?

topmansparkie said:
What does it do?

Coolant Temp? - dunno
TPS position/voltage? - it definitely does the TPS (returns an integer value as per pic, 16 appears to be no throttle), not sure about voltage
Anything to do with fuel/usage/mileage? - it definitely does this (see pic); it's fun watching your MPG go to zero when you floor it
Battery voltage? - it definitely does this (see pic)
Engine speed? - it definitely does this (see pic)
Vehicle speed?- it definitely does this
In theory, all of the above. Dunno if the Puma ECU reports all of those things though.

Check out the website and look in the "Digital Guages" tab in the lower half of the page.

Thanks for all the info... I was probably looking at the website when you typed your post!!

Anything else you want to know? I'll nip out and see if it does it.

evilrob said:
Anything else you want to know? I'll nip out and see if it does it.
That's OK thank you! You have a PM.... :grin:

topmansparkie said:
What does it do?

Coolant Temp? Yes
TPS position/voltage? Yes
Anything to do with fuel/usage/mileage? Yes
Battery voltage? Yes
Engine speed? Yes
Vehicle speed? Yes

You can also program it to show HP being used (just a code to put in)

hotrodspike said:
You can also program it to show HP being used (just a code to put in)
Are these codes included and I assume they would they be vehicle/ECU specific?
I'm thinking something like when you get one of those all for one TV remotes which come with a huge list of different codes...

SCRUB THAT, I'VE JUST FOUND THEM.... :p

No, its pretty generic, i have bhp in mine, i think its a 4 digit code, i found it on tinterweb, and its fairly accurate, even after heavily modifying mine, it read 220bhp, and i was making 229, so not bad at all!

Just check that it will work on a 98, because im sure they were only made for 2002 and onwards vehicles, although mine works on my 2000 and 2001 pumas. If yours is analogue dash then i dont think it will work.If you want more in depth info, and the ability to switch off ABS and Airbag lights, and dont mind using a laptop, then F-Super is a good tool, but its for fords only, and again, not sure it will work on a 98 car. Ive also tried ELM327 with no joy connecting it to any puma, or my 2002 focus.

Scangauge is nice and compact, and easy to carry with you instead of hauling a laptop around.

Latest posts

Back