Oil breathers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo1990

Hi i have a 1.7 turbo currently running 335bhp and i have oil at the bottom of the air box. And the oil dipstick keeps popping out. Can anyone help with what oil breathers are best and a idea how to fit them

Hi

Maybe extent or replace the breather pipes and run them to a catch can? But you would need to blank off the two 'nipples' on the bottom of the breather where the existing pipes go to.

Sounds like the pressure in the inlet is stopping vacuum being drawn from the crankcase therefore pressurizing it and popping the dipstick out. I think the crankcase breather has a valve in it and I'm pretty sure it relies in some sort of vacuum from the inlet to operate. You've counteracted that by pressurizing the inlet. :grin:

The PCV system can create a problem on a turbo conversion,particularly the part that is connected to the inlet manifold. This is because the PCV valve wasn't designed for a turbo system. On a factory turbo car this PCV valve would block inlet pressure from entering the crankcase. The pcv valve on a puma doesn't do that at all.so wen you're building boost you're actually pressurizing the crankcase.

To solve this problem I looked at the breather system on a fiesta st180. On this breather system all the crankcase ventilation is redirected to in front of the turbo (airfilter side) and not to the inlet manifold directly. This means that there is always a vacuum pulling on your crankcase. If you have a standalone management of some sort with a MAP sensor, all you ave to do is redirect both PCV lines (on the block and on the cilinder head) to airfilter pipe. I did put a catchcan inbetween to catch the oil vapours. Make sure you use big enough lines and fittings, otherwise you could still be pressurizing your crankcase because of the restriction in your PCV system. What I also did was take out the PCV valve itself and gutted it, that way it also wond be a restriction in the breather system.

Then, for cars running on a standard ECU with a MAF sensor (like me): The original routing for the PCV system has part of the cranckcas ventilation in front of the MAF sensor and part of it behind the maf sensor (in the inlet manifold). To make sure that the MAF sensor reads the right amount of air I did put one of the PCV lines in front of the maf sensor (on the air filter), and one between the maf sensor and the turbo (in the inlet pipe) to simulate the OE system.

Hope this all makes sense, if there are any questions pleas ask

Regards,
Joshua

Also, You state you are running 335bhp, I am impressed! How did you do that? Do you have some kind of mod list? I am REALLY intrested! :grin:

Hi thank you both for the info.
Here is a spec list it us a long one.
 LMS spec low comp forged piston, LMS spec H beam rods, modifed keywayed crank, HD big end bearing, new main bearings, LMS stage two head, LMS spec HD valve springs, LMS turbo spec cams,  GT28 roller bearing turbo, uprated actuator, Custom tubular exhaust manifold, ford racing puma inlet manifold. 58mm throttle body, 370cc sr20det injectors, mk1 focus rs MAF sensor. Cone air filter, mapped by sabre tuning on original ecu

Nice setup! Quite a bit of engine work done. Really cool
Can imagine this being a lot of fun to drive!

Back