Oil problem..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_89

Whilst browsing around the forum I notice that the recommended oil for the 1.7's is 5W30 due to the Nikalsi cylinder lining. Only problem is that my Puma 1.7 has been using 10W40 pretty much all it's life. I looked at old MOT'S and service reciepts and it seems to always have had it, but mechanically all seems fine, feels and sounds lovely (drinks fuel!) so does anyone think this is anything to worry about?

Thanks

Alex

i would get it changed asap before anything does go wrong, saying that without a compression test you may be non the wiser anyway!

Could it actually damage my engine? please excuse my ignorance but what is a compression test?

Thanks

test the pressure in the cylinder bores if its leaking it will be low, leakage could be caused by the bore (nikasil) liners being worn

and using incorrect oil of nikasil lined bore can (not definately) cause wear damage to them, once they are damaged your engine is a write off basically

Back