Ok need a little help (not very urgent though)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e3silversurfer

Ever since I have mounted a 15cm high kerb at about 5mph, (due to me drifting as the road was snow covered last month) I have started to develop a constant knocking and rattling sound from my front passeger side wheel area.

looking from below without jacking the car up, I can see part of the gearbox have been scarped (althought not much damage to it) but all other components seem to be fine.

the impact happend headon and the tyre bursted. also gone was the rubber strip beloow the front bumper as that dislodged itself completely (had to walk back after I parked the car to pick it off the road)

the tracking, been to align it twice but the steering is still veering about 5 degrees to the left wondering if there is any damage to the following:

- suspension strut
- suspension top rubber mount
- drop link
- wish bone and corresponding bushes
- cv joint
- steering rack

I think the CV joint and steering rack are fine as I am still able to accelerate and brake without hearing any noises. the rattling and clonking comes when I mount spped humps and pot holes in the roads.

Any other components I should have a look at before I send it of to the garage to get myself ripped off?

thanks for all help in advance guys.

Id probs say suspension related mate, if it's only when your going up speed humps etc.. sounds like youv'e knocked something loose

damper may of burst? have a look for fluid

wishbone bent a little? causing a knocking on the underside of the car?

drop links may be a damaged abit?

buckled wheel?

wishbone if its making it change direction the drop links wont affect the steering they just make an annoying rattle on a bumpy road! also worth checking the track rod end but if it is making noise like that id get it done sooner rather than later! i`ve done a lot of cars that have crashed in the snow you would be amazed the damage at low speed!

my monies on the drop link for the clonking.

veering.... possibly the track rod end, id also suggest a new track rod cos they do tend to bend when whacked!

there all the cheapest ones to start with anyway! after that id be worried about the lower arm / bushes

wished the weather here was a bit warmer. then i'd jack it up and dismantle everything and put everything back... hope i can get this sorted before going down to leicester meet.

If its just knocking over uneven surfaces then i would agree with jacko. One went on my Focus after going on a track day and giving it a good thrashing on lowering springs :)

Back