One litre engine.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinamotor

I have been reading up on Fords latest three cylinder one litre engine, what a little power house it is. I wonder if anyone will ever transplant one into an older lighter Ford such as the Puma. I would imagine it would suit the car perfectly whilst saving fuel and weight and retaining similar power. In fact a small rear drive roadster would also be superb with this lump IMO

That little 1.0 Litre turbo charged engine should be able to be boosted up quite a bit too...

Will cost a fortune for a while though.

No idea about the power of the engine your talking about but I had a 993cc Charade GTti in 1991 (God, that's 20+ years ago now!!) and it had 99bhp as standard which was going some in those days. Didn't stay standard for long and I paid a kind gentleman £400 to play around with a few pipes and he gave me it back with 135bhp.

That was one astonishing car and I regretted getting rid of it from the day I part ex'd it to this very day.

They would embarrass quite a few machines back then, you must have embarrassed quite a few more! :wink:

melinamotor said:
In fact a small rear drive roadster would also be superb with this lump IMO

Sounds exactly like the recipe for a Smart Roadster, minus the silly gearbox. Me likes :)

It has supercharger + turbocharge but apparently too expensive to go in the Fiesta. Ford claim it may eventually get up to 180 horses.

Fiat already have a 1.4T with 150 horses, but even that is only in the Brava not the Punto.

mix2000 said:
They would embarrass quite a few machines back then, you must have embarrassed quite a few more! :wink:
martinthrapston said:
the charrade gtti was a :-D street sleeper,put a few of the other cars to shame,
You better believe it, it was quick before it went into the garage but was plain mental when it came out. The difference was unbelieveable, the mechanic who sorted it went out for a test drive before handing it back to me, on his return he had the biggest grin I'd ever seen on his return. He got out amazed and with a wry smile on his face just said - 'Be carefull' - which made me feel like doing a backflip.

The drive home was fantastic and the months that followed an absolute blast putting to shame an awfull lot of 'supposedly' quick/quicker cars. The 'in' boy racer cars at the time were Renault 5 Turbos but they couldn't hold a candle to the Charade. Had many a chat with said car owners after leaving them gawping at my flat rear end :lol:

VERY big grins all round until I made the stupid mistake of part ex'ing it for the Carlton GSi 24v 'Barge' :lol:

Whatever happened to the revamp of the puma?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/238927/fords_baby_cat_is_getting_ready_to_pounce.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bishman said:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/238927/fords_baby_cat_is_getting_ready_to_pounce.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll be out as soon pigs grow wings and learn how to fly ;)

bishman said:

If only it could be made so it looked less like a Fiesta and didn't have those ridiculous wheels.

Apparently it was just a rumour...

Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

In regards to your query I have spoken with the brand management team at the Ford head office, they have advised that there was no announcement of a release of a new Puma. Occasionally journalists and car magazines publish articles which are in no way correct.

The pwr output of a 1.4T now equates to a 2.0n/a of the same vehicle. The very reason I'm waiting for my mothers 1.4 to have an epic fail on the MOT so can get it the project garage!!! :twisted:

bishman said:
Apparently it was just a rumour...

Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

In regards to your query I have spoken with the brand management team at the Ford head office, they have advised that there was no announcement of a release of a new Puma. Occasionally journalists and car magazines publish articles which are in no way correct.

AutoExpress are always inventing similar stories. They have been winding up MX5 owners with stories that the next MX5 will be fwd !!

Back