Painting calipers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwighet

Lads any tips for cleaning up and painting brake callipers. Got a set of st 150 mk v coming my way and want to tidy them up..

Thanks

Blood, sweat and tears if you're doing it by hand..

I went at mine with a wirebrush. Covered them in Hammerite's green rust goo remover stuff, worked it in as instructed, rinsed. I found this actually loosened up a lot of the tougher stuff I couldn't shift with a wirebrush. I used a flat head screwdriver (and a hammer to tap the end of it, made life easier) to knock the worst of it off. Wirebrush and goo again. Rinse. Let them dry. Then went at them with various shaped wirebrush drill attachments. Cleaned up dust etc with a healthy amount of brake cleaner (from a high pressure tin, too, so it was like a brake-cleaner mini-jetwash).

There's a couple before/afters in my project thread if you want to see how they come up. It took a good bit of time, but felt worth it once they were painted.

ArtfulHussy said:
Blood, sweat and tears if you're doing it by hand..

I went at mine with a wirebrush. Covered them in Hammerite's green rust goo remover stuff, worked it in as instructed, rinsed. I found this actually loosened up a lot of the tougher stuff I couldn't shift with a wirebrush. I used a flat head screwdriver (and a hammer to tap the end of it, made life easier) to knock the worst of it off. Wirebrush and goo again. Rinse. Let them dry. Then went at them with various shaped wirebrush drill attachments. Cleaned up dust etc with a healthy amount of brake cleaner (from a high pressure tin, too, so it was like a brake-cleaner mini-jetwash).

There's a couple before/afters in my project thread if you want to see how they come up. It took a good bit of time, but felt worth it once they were painted.
Nice one
thanks

Brake and clutch cleaner and a toothbrush, once clean mask up bits u want not sprayed and use paint of choice, i done mine satin black.

Back