Painting Engine Cover

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris3boro

Hi, I want to brighten up my engine bay a bit :)
Wondering what my options are in terms of painting my engine cover. It's the blacktop zetec S engine, which is black plastic. I could buy a metal version (like are found on early fiesta zetec S's) and easily get that powdercoated, but I'd have to get a new gasket of some description as the black tops were introduced when some improvements were made to the engine.

Here a pic..

18072008491.jpg

So can my current one be painted at all? Any ideas what else I could do?
Thanks, Chris

Interesting one.. the metal one might be a cool option, gaskets don't cost much :)

High temperature paint would do the job quite well.

Not really a lot that can be done to the 1.6 as its not as easy to just paint the cam cover.

The top plastic bit could be done but would require a bit of work to make it look good and even then may be too 'in your face'

Just a thought

This is what I contracted PumaSpeed about, I once saw a painted 1.6 cover on there but can't find it anymore (v similar to the blue 1.7 cover they do too)

Found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zetec-CUSTOM-cam-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... .m20.l1116

Hmmm...nice idea but i dont think that would be compatible as the auction states 1.6 metal top engines and the 1.6 that you have is SE and plastic.

Im sure someone will set the recored straight

RED IMPACT said:
Hmmm...nice idea but i dont think that would be compatible as the auction states 1.6 metal top engines and the 1.6 that you have is SE and plastic.

Im sure someone will set the recored straight

Underneath it says will fit black top engines but need a rocker cover gasket or something (presumably this is the bit they changed on the phase 2 zetec s engines)

I'm not sure that a simple rubber gasket will make them compatible. All it is, is the seal between the the cover and the main part of the engine.

One of the few things I now know about, as I've just had to buy one from Ford to replace mine as it's leaking.

hmmm, alright I'll leave it for a bit. Got other things to spend my money on before that really. thanks

Latest posts

Back