Parts quality

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

I'm making a list of parts I need for my car some of which are top mounts for the suspension.

I've got prices from Ford and although you get what you pay for, even for Ford quality I can't justify the cost.

I've found branded top mounts on the internet. Lemforder and Febi. I've heard of Febi but not Lemforder. Does anyone know anything about this brand?

Next is the slave cylinder. I've found Sachs brand which I've heard of but again don't know much about the quality.

Any advice on the above brands would be appreciated.

I've never heard of Lemforder before either but that doesn't mean they are good or bad :grin:

Looks like someone here has used the Sachs slave cylinder. As far as I've read they are typically a recommended brand, but no personal experience.

Hi Red

Lemforder appear to supply OEM/parts for VW and are rated quite highly, so they may be worth a shot.

Has anyone experienced QH?
They supply an OE quality clutch and slave cylinder for just shy of £100.

Local Ford dealer - Clutch is just over £100 on an exchange plus a Sachs (internet) slave cylinder for £43 = £143....

GSF supplied front top mounts a few years back that came with the bearing for a very reasonable price, it fitted fine. I can have a look for the packaging for a make and part number if that helps?

I use Eurocarparts for pretty much everything, I find them cheaper than GSF. They also supply Lemforder, Febi and Sachs among others and out of all the parts I have used from them I can't say I have ever had one fail, although I am a little overcautious with service parts and tend to change them a little earlier than is necessary.
Hope this helps,
Rob.

The front Top Mounts that came from GSF were manufactured by Vetech Original. On the Bag it has GSF REF: 457F00190
Equivalent to OE REF: 1 013 794 S.
https://www.gsfcarparts.com/457fo0190. There is a 30% off voucher available. However I believe I paid approximately 1/4 of the current price!
Also on GSF ebay listingshttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Pum...l:Puma&hash=item568cb53307:g:CM8AAOSw6WdXiybG

At the time these were purchased(5 years ago), they were much cheaper than Euro Car Parts. However GSF were sold on a few years ago and agreed that Euro Carparts now usually beat them on price , provided you use weekend discounts and order online etc.
Another option is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA...l:Puma&hash=item2805d8da91:g:dwsAAOSwbIRZbc98 ,as I doubt that there is much difference in the quality compared to these . They also come with the bearing

Front anti roll bushes were from Euro carparts at a very reasonable price https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...ension/suspension-bushes/?614590280&1&&000407 There's currently a further 35% off discount available.
They both made an enormous difference to both the handling and ride quality

Thanks for all the info!

Eurocarparts price a clutch Well in excess of that from Ford so they can shove that one!
I've had a few things from them in the past and most of the time ended up with them supplying the wrong part!

You all have to be aware that NEITHER part you ever (are going to) buy will be the same as the parts originally installed in the factory at the time of production of the vehicle. It (sadly) applies even to the OEM parts. For instance,take the brake discs and pads. The ones that came with the car will on a Ford with some average driving last (personal experience) over 100.000 kms. Whatever you buy in aftermarket (including the OEM Ford ones) will last about 60.000 kms no matter what you do. Here I am talking about (so called) premium aftermaket parts such as Ate and TRW which are match for OEM parts at lower prices. It is simply a matter of economics; it is in noone's interest to sell you the parts which are to durable as it is bad for the future business!
There is also one other thing to be considered: sometimes big chains of autoparts stores somehow get factory rejects on their shelves and sell them as original parts, but much cheaper. Those are to be detected by the logo being machined off.
Having said all of that: FeBi is a good quality brand and I use their HCV and engine mounts (the big one and the torque restrictor).
Never had any experinece with Lemförder and, TBH, the fact that their suspension parts are original fit on VW group does little to assure me of the quality as some models have suspension that starts falling apart after less than 100.000 kms. But, yes, Lemförder are considered to be good quality brand (come to think of it, does any of you know a german brand that ISN'T considered to be of good quality, which makes one wonder about propaganda...... :?: )

Back