Playing with 3m spot pads.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beko1987

*Taken from http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=214673 so the smilies may not work :roll:

Well, after being handed a bag of goodies by Alexandra @ Elite this morning I had a crack at my drivers door!

I bought a Green, Yellow, Blue & Black 3m 4" pad, 75mm backing plate and a large waffle pad for larger areas.

I worked down my Menz polishes in the order in the pics, using the Green pad, yellow pad, then the last 2 polishes went on with the blue pad. I applied and worked in for a while at the lowest setting BH with the black pad.

The beer (s) are an important part of the process! :speechles :buffer:

5672462440_a73b311c1f_b.jpg

5671892265_7a2c7e5392_b.jpg

This is the rear quarter on the drivers side (didn't take any befores, the paints in this condition all over!)

5671889395_f78dd66615_b.jpg

It took 2 hits of the first polish to dent the swirls! Gordon, you were right when you said smaller pads have less cut! However, I used the small pads for the whole door (as a learning curve). I found the polisher MUCH easier to control. Refining all the steps and the final black hole was done with me just holding the rotary at the end by the cable, the weight of the machine providing the weight.

5672440048_e7b1ba605d_b.jpg

5672443236_7f5021b55a_b.jpg

5672446330_57d2f408e6_b.jpg

5672448840_45f67ff7b8_b.jpg

5672452612_51e8de229f_b.jpg

There's a layer of EGP curing on it at the moment (never like leaving paintwork unprotected, and thanks Mark for the EGP! Liking it more and more each time I use it, does seem to bring a pronounced level of clarity to the finish), then when the sun goes down later I'll jetwash the car to get rid of the splatter, and maybe (light depending) put a few layers of wax and V7 over it! :thumb:

Time taken - about 4 hours (From rinsing & a quick clay of the door, and including fridge and bottle opening times.) I reckon I've got about 93% correction (a few RSD's, a carpark ding and still some deep swirls I'm reluctant to touch at the moment by the door handle)

Now to go and do something constructive! (Plastering the hallway :wall:

Very nice :eek:k:

I've got some of those Menzerna polishes to use with the 3 different Menzerna pads, but I'm not planning on using all of them as Ford paint isn't that hard to need them! Hopefully!

Don't get me worried about the paint, I'm not using a PTG! TBH I didn't put much pressure on (apparently the machine is supposed to change tone, but it didn't) so should be ok. Plus the amount of rust bubbles, stonechips, peeling lacquer on the front bumper etc it won't be the end of the world! If that happens I'll probably turn it into a ratlook-mobile! (Will have to get 4 more steel spare wheels!)

The menz pads are very good, although one of mine is falling apart now from using too much product!

What machine you were using on this mate? I've just got a kestral DAS-6 (think thats what its called) and didn't get all that good of a finish on my dads car, but it was my first attempt with only a compound, polishing and finishing pad :lol: With a cutting and a finishing polish. :oops:

Hi Tom.

Using a Silverline Silverstorm ROTARY polisher.

The DAS-6 is a DUAL ACTION polisher, so is more difficult to correct paint with, but preferable to keeping it swirl-free, and to apply products once the paint is sorted.

Head over to Detailing World. You can get results with the DA, just takes practise. Took me about 4 hours to do the door, would have been less if I was using normal pads, but I tend to correct fairly quickly (do Pumas have soft paint?), then spend the time refining and jewelling the finish, until the clear coat almost rises up off the paint, giving a sense of depth.

From reading on DW, and looking at Mike Philips video's, you need to be making about 10-12 passes per area on the higher speed, then step down (the Zenith point technique), with a fair bit of pressure.

Post some pics of your results!

Detailing does seem to be an expensive hobby, but one I want in on. Is there some sort of website to browse different rotary machine polishers etc? (Besides DW :lol:)

browse the online shops!

Elite Car Care
Monza
Ultimate Finish
Poorboys
Chemical Guys
Dodo

loads of polishers to look at, but read DW to find out what they are like.

I have but one quibble with this.

That's not beer; it's kids' fizzy pop. :evil:

That aside - nice job and write up.

XIIVVX said:
I have but one quibble with this.

That's not beer; it's kids' fizzy pop. :evil:

That aside - nice job and write up.

I quite like it tbh, refreshing.

Not as good as a Hobgoblin or London Pride but they don't taste as nice out of a bottle I find!

Back