Priority

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucy

Question being is, what should I do first? which is the most important?

My car is an S reg done 72k

Had its MOT done today and it showed up some issues.

1. brake pipes need replacing
2. front tyres need replacing very soon
3. suspension arm bushes worn (very annoyed as only replaced those 2 years ago. never buying parkers parts again!)

other bits..
4. cambelt is overdue
5. clutch biting very high so obviously need a new one
6. rust coming through on the drivers side rear quarter (had the passenger side done last year)

Im not made of money so Im going to have to work out what comes first then work down the list.
I was thinking cambelt but with the tyres being close I dont want to leave those another month, then I dont want to leave the brake pipes too long or the clutch.

ideas please!

Cambelt no. 1 - very costly if goes!

Clutch can wait a wee while provided you are careful and don't do risky overtaking manoeuvres!

Rust can wait.

How low are tyres? If under 3mm I would change as a priority or else drive very carefully. Near to 1.6mm change immediately as 3 points per tyre below legal limit :eek:

The mechanic should have said how bad the suspension bits and brake pipes were as they may be urgent but think they would said if so.

Just my opinion mind! :)

Brakes first! No point having a nice new cambelt if it's wrapped around a tree due to broken pipes! Then tyres for the reason already given! But there's no point getting new tyres unless the bushes have been done so your tracking is set correctly.

Assuming it passed the MOT (as you didn't say), the brake pipes and bushes won't be in a very bad state, otherwise it would have failed. These would only be advisories and not necessarily needing to be replaced immediately.
If it failed, then thats a different ball game.

it passed, thankfully!

Since I posted we've found some brake pipes that jay had left from when he had his done, so thats one less thing to have to buy lol. The wishbones werent ford ones but we've managed to find some original ones and hopefully put some nice powerflex bushes into them eventually but that wont be the first job.

Brake pipes, then cambelt, then tyres, then clutch, bushes and then rust.

think thats the way to go. I dont fancy having rubbish brakes! I replaced the pads and disks late last year so then I know its all safe.

had my car tax and MOT this month and now just had my insurance renewal in the post. Only went down £17 from last year, so I called them and got another £40 knocked off so that was a plus!!

on the subject of brake pipes, anyone know the diameter or guage of the standard lines?

thats not something Id know off the top of my head tbh lol!!

Brake pipes being fixed next week. Its my birthday on the 5th so Iv got some money coming my way to do some more work, probably put it towards the cambelt and garage hours.
(not that I want to spend my birthday money on the blumming car but what can you do?)

Looked on fordpartsuk and they stock a 1.7 cambelt but not 1.4 or 1.6. does anyone know if the 1.7 will also fit on the other models?

No, the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 all use different belts.

Correction, the belts seem to be the same, it's the tensioners etc which are different.

This is what you need, Gates make them for Ford:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Puma-1-4-1998-2001-Gates-Cam-Belt-Kit-Timing-/230421718353?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a6346551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ahhhh thanks for clearing that up :cool:

I emailled the blokes at fordparts and they've added the 1.4 and the 1.6 model to the listings now. £58 + pp.
Im thinking go for the ford parts rather than the one off of ebay, stick to the original parts etc.

thankyou for the link though, gave me a good comparison :thumbs:

tyres & cambelt are the most important :)

Its worth having the right Ford kit, ensure you use correct cam locking tool :)

tires and cambelt.. tires are a legality obviously and the next.. well put it this way, you dont wanna snap ya belt at 40mph!

I had the brake pipes done this week, seems that when the bloke took one off it snapped in his hand and crumbled. Im no mechanic but I know thats not good haha

I went to sandicliffe this week also for some prices straight from them. they want £68 for the tensioner alone on the timing belt!! rubbish. Im going elsewhere. actually Im going to buy the cambelt kit now :cool:

Lucy, if you ever want OE Ford parts, I get trade discount (-33%) at Evans Halshaw Ford in Leicester (the one that's just off the A6, opposite St Magarets Playing Fields).

:eek:k:

oooo :grin: I may take you up on that. Just looked on fordparts website and they want £75 for the kit inc vat and postage.

£5 odd for postage is abit steep!!

Thankyou :thumbs:

AndyW said:
Lucy, if you ever want OE Ford parts, I get trade discount (-33%) at Evans Halshaw Ford in Leicester (the one that's just off the A6, opposite St Magarets Playing Fields).

:eek:k:

now you tell us! :grin:

So after a few weeks of faffing about I've got my hands on all the parts I need *bar the wishbones but scubasteve might be helping me out with that one!*

Clutch (Valeo.... OH has one in his and its been really good, I did want ford parts but he talked me round)
Cambelt kit (gates)
Alternator belt
Fuel filter
oil filter
new oil
air filter

came to the bargin price of £176 as my partner knows someone who works where we got them from, it should have been £250!.

All being well the parts will be on the car beginning of next month after we've been to Trax.

In all its going to cost about £300 for parts and fitting. My friend is doing the work at his garage so hes taking the whole engine out and doing everything at once rather than messing about.

then its the tyres turn, think Im going to go for the pirelli ones that I had on my fans, going to replace all 4 as the 2 rear ones arent matching. Camskill seems a good place to order from

:grin:

wishbones should be off tonight weather depending, so will let you know, already got one spare just the passengar one to get off

:thumbs: thanks! then I'll be well away getting her back to good working order :) oh apart from needing some more anti rollbar thingys. ahh well, when it comes to selling up least it'll have a new set of everything!

Back