Project Ell (moondust)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmores

Right so I bought Sax's car off him.. and thought starting another thread was a good idea as suggested by someone!

Ive already got a few bits to do and some things id like to upgrade/change.

Very excited about the car... never had something so nice (which says a lot!)... As ive already said I am completely new to this so many of my questions will probably be quite stupid! Or they may have already been answered in other posts, if this is the case I apologise, ive been trying to read as much as I can but there are only so many hours in the day!

Anyway down to the details //

Planned Changes:

Speakers - Just bought some £400 5x7 speakers off ebay for £130! so they are going straight in as soon as i get some fronts and an amp. Will this be enough speakerage for the car? I noticed some pple added some stealth subs under the rears, is this necessary? I almost exclusively play bass heavy dance music, will i need a sub?

Head Unit - Any ideas guys? Aiming to spend about £100 or just over.. no preferences except that its nice and not too demented... no flashing dolphins etc... my current pioneer is like a macro rave constantly flipping from dark to light and slowly driving me bonkers.

Superchip - Is this worth it? I would get a propper one from puma speed... will it make a big difference or would i be better spending the money on chips of the potato vareity? :)

Leather Interior - When i can get a good one and convince the other half its a good thing to spend money on!

Problems:

Dent - From being dropped off a jack... gonna get pannel beaten next week.

Bearings - My other halfs dad who runs a Ford garage made some slightly alarmed noises and told us the hub bearings had gone on the nearside front... not a great start but apparently very easy to miss when servicing... doh...

Window Seals - bit fatigued... wheres the best place to get them from? Breakers yard?

Drums - Bit rusty

Questions:

I might move these to seperate forums but if anyone can help it would be much apreciated...

Speakers - The 5x7 come with component tweeters. I am going to (somehow) run them back to the front pillars, only problem is that they are recess mount only... how the hell am i going to mount them? I was thinking of either milling some aluminium mounts or improvising some sort of mount from bits and bobs... unless anyone can suggest anything better? Alternatively can I just rely on the fronts for trebble and just not connect the rear tweeters?

Drums - What kind of paint can i use to touch them up?

The DREADED SEA - We live on the coast... literally, the channel is about 5m from our front door... our car sits about 3m from it... this is a huge issue for paint and bodywork. Up until now I have been massively indifferent to the sea slowly eating our cars (fiesta, micra). Now we have a nice car its a bit more of an issue! What would be the best way to keep her safe? I apreciate cleaning is good but would wax help? Also what do I go at the underside with as id imagine this is going to be a weak point.

Think thats about it for now!

Cheers guys.

hello mate you got a nice car there!

as for the head unit i just got myself an alpine 112ri its amazing! cost me £140 little bit more than you wanted top spend but i would say buy an alpine you wont regret spending the extra pennys! i had a kenwood one and since the change its like taking cotton wool out my ears! i upgraded to JBL speakers there more than enough to handle to trebble as for the bass i am going to put subs in mine so will let you know when its done! and yer the sea will be a big problem i have seen 10 year old cars with holes in the floor from living by the sea you will need to treat the whole underside of your car with under seal a couple of people have done it on here so just have a look whats involved!

good luck!

Superchip - IMO don't bother unless you are making more changes to the spec of the car, plus don't forget Superchip's are pretty generic, i.e. not tailored to your car.

Window seals - don't bother replacing them, they are around £50 each, and the new ones are just as likely to roll over on the glass, which I assume is the prob with the current ones. Plus they are a bugger to fit. Try getting some wind deflectors, these should rectify the problem.

Painting Drums - Hammerite.

Steavie... cheers for the advice, I have got my eye on a couple of alpines on the bay :) Look forward to hearing your thoughts on subs.

Flash... disappointing on the chip front but I guess its unrealistic to expect a dramatic change with such a cheap (relatively) priced product... what would you recommend as a starting point for upgrading the engine? Its already fitted with a cold air induction and an exhaust but as I understand it these just enhance the existing characteristics of the engine rather than increasing its actual output much.

The window seals are the ones in between the main side windows and the small piece of glass at the back.. they look to have bubbled or distorted somehow... I guess it doesnt really matter at the moment and £50 is better spent elsewhere!

I shall invest in some hammerite immediately!

If the window seals have bubbled, then it sounds like the metal inside is corriding. In that case replacement will work, but replacement won't stop the rubber from folding over on it'self when you put the window up, I misunderstood the issue, my apologies.

Just a change of map on any standard naturally aspirated engine is unlikely to have a significant impact on performance, other than perhaps making it a touch smoother. If you are seeking more power, the most common option is to go for the FRP modifications, there is some useful info here;

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back