Project PPW

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigJ

So, i'm on to my second Puma now which was a bargain I picked up on a spur of the moment thing due to the price and the lux pack. I currently have 2 puma's sitting on my driveway with the silver one to be sold so let me know if you're in the market for a silver one.

So after a banzai run across the middle of the country in a GT-4 we picked up the Puma. First impressions, very good, a little bit of rust in the areas you expect...but nothing that can't be sorted with a bit of time and effort, car is very tidy, good engine (with some nice little bits of detailing), small dent above offside front wheel which can be sorted and a few little extra details the previous owner has added.

Second impression...after signing the paperwork, paying the monies and getting a mile down the road it appears that there's quite clearly something wrong with drivers side front suspension which hadn't made itself audible in the test drive. Pit stop in the garage and we assume its a bushing issue and carry on through the torrential rain home back to Peterborough with me cringing every time I go over a bump bigger than a 2p.

That was 2 weeks ago, vehicle is SORN until the end of the month while I get the silver one MOT'd and prepped for selling. Photo's below:

start1.jpg

start2.jpg

start3.jpg

So, pros:
Engine very tidy and sounding good
Anti-roll bar on front's which wasn't advertised
Paint-matched engine cover
Stainless steel (I believe he said it was a Janspeed) exhaust
Recent Cambelt change
Equipment upgrade on the silver one
Some nice little extra details
Stock front speakers replaced with components

Cons:
That front right suspension!
A little bit of paint/bodywork repair to be done

apart from that very pleased!

-note on the suspension, looks like a recent replacement and not been tightened up properly but I've got a week off next week to have a fiddle and *should* be able to sort it myself

So....my plans for the new puma

*Sort the suspension
*30mm drop
*17" rims (I did have some lined up but fell through)
*Repair the little scratches and rust on bodywork
*K&N 57i induction kit (already bought, just waiting on delivery, will fit next week)
*Replace/cover hoses
*Engine clean/replace pipes
*Replace stock rear speakers with some 6x9's
*Respray door card's and dash black/silver
*Re-upolster the fabric in the door cards with purple velvet
*Re-upolster the seats in black leather/purple trim
*or buy some new bucket seats
*Replace headunit with usb/bluetooth etc (already have unit, to be fitted next week)
*LED striplights in footwells
*Change pedals
*Boot spoiler
*FRP splitter
*Colour code calipers
*Sound deadening
*NGK Spark plugs
*Fly-eye light covers on rear

That's it so far and all of those can be done over the next couple of months pretty cheaply and easily. Considering other tweaks to the engine, maybe super/turbo charging it and maybe a bit of a paint job but I want to get everything else done first and have it looking good first before I start doing any major and costly mods.

Ha, yes they would, and to be honest that's kind of where I got the idea about the silver from and I did consider buying them...but, given as i've got 9 out of the next 14 days off work and I'm using this project as a learning project so I want to try and do as many things from scratch as possible and between the velvet and paints the door cards (front and rear) should cost me about £20 to do!

+ i'll also end up buying a full FRP interior and although I want it close to an FRP inside I want it a bit different. :wink:

Well should it all go wrong, i have these silver and blue ones, the alacantra on them is not professionaly done, but i also have FRP front door cards too.
I do have a full FRP interior but its being shipped to norway. Should the guy not pay up, then there is that option too possibly.

Cheers spartan, good to know, will see how I get on with these first, velvet has arrived at other address so haven't seen it yet, photo's will be up at some point next week. Looking forward to a few days off work and a bit of messing about in cars!

Yeh, i'm pretty pleased with it apart from the little suspension issue - in the last 15 months its only done 1300 miles too and had some work done on it. Will get to finally get the wheel off tomorrow and have a proper look...hopefully fixable with a couple of tools! The clutch is pretty harsh as well...i need to have a look back through the records and see when it was replaced.

Also dropped the idea of recolouring the interior for now, will be cutting out the fabric and seeing how it looks in the car as its quite a strong colour but at £3 for the material it was always an option which was worth spending the money on even to find out if it was gonna look like crap. Will see

So tomorrow...

Sort the suspension
Replace head unit
Fit 6x9's in rear bin's (that should be interesting...)
Start on the sound deadening
Repair scratches

and then hopefully the K&N filter should arrive by the end of the week and be fitted.

Watch this space

So today went well...given this is being done on a weeks holiday things were being done at a leisurely pace (and accompanied by the odd beer!) Managed to get the 6x9's in, and start on the sound deadening, got the speaker boxes done atleast and the InPhase 6x9's i've slotted in work a treat! So happy with that. Suspension turned out to be a top mount bushing issue which means part ordering and car sending to garage to have done but only a £50 jobbie. Head unit fitted and started on the scratches so not quite as much progress as I was looking for but still at least i'm happy with the sound in the car now!

Latest posts

Back