Pulleys and power steering

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serth

Evening all,

Now I've diagnosed the noise under the bonnet to be pulley related, I've had a look at which pulleys seem to be moving a little too much or noisey and i have found 3. The aircon pulley seems to vibrate a fair bit, and the crank pulley (am i calling this the right name, bottom centre of the engine) seem to move a little too. Then the idler pulley (top centre) seems like the bearing has gone too.
Now the aircon pulley is on there but the aircon pump is not plugged in as i removed aircon. Can i remove the pulley and get a non AC fan belt (which will probably be cheaper), and keep the power steering pump at the back of the engine still?

What parts would i need? Crank pulley seems like a lot of work? Anyone know the cheapest/easiest way of doing this?

Whilst on the topic of powersteering, it would appear that my powersteering fluid is boiling. This surely can't be normal. Anyone noticed this before/found a solution.

Video attached:

Clicky

i'd change the Idle pulley first... a lot of cars have the crappy gates one fitted which goes very noisey and rattly.. buy the proper ford one! F1763647

the tensioner pulley can go which often makes a dry rough sort of noise... F 1077687

the movment in the bottom pulley is just down to the rubber anti-vibration layer within it... if it was loose i'd be worried.. :eek:

the aircon pulley always has some play in it...don't worry about that

:cool:

Chris

Thanks mate, will get on the phone to ford tomorrow.

Any ideas on the power steering?

I got the fanbelt off yesterday to find that a) it is the idler pulley, all others spin fine, and b) the bolt connecting this to the block is rounded. So back on went the belt until i can find a tool good enough and small enough to fit in there to remove the rounded bolt.

£30 down courtesy of the Ford Parts Department, but back to square 1 :(

And I meant about the bubbling powersteering fluid mate!

el dude said:
that pulley is pressed/removed using the correct SPX tool ideally... i'd hope that's all ok... :lol:

Is this SPX tool available anywhere? I need to replace the power steering pump on mine but they all come without the pulley. My intention was to remove the pulley from the old pump and use on the new pump...

Also, what is the sensor for that is T-pieced off the power steering return pipes? The pipes come off the pump, travel to the front of the engine, through this sensor, then back to the rear of the engine and into the rack.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back