PUMA 1.7...DIED AFTER GOING OVER A BUMP!! BAFFLED..HELP PLS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where we are now;
Last saturday, had a diagnostic, threw up 2 codes, both of which we knew about and it was running with, prior to the breakdown, which was vcs and 3rd cylinder.
Checked that the fuel cut off switch wasn't activated by the bump, it has a gap at the top where the red button is, of a few mm's and the button won't go down or move, so presume that is ok, and we have had fuel out of the valve on the injector rail too.
changed injector loom to hopefully solve the vcs problem
changed the injector rail because I had already purchased it from ebay, but had a feeling it would make no difference!
checked the blue valve, we have fuel
it turns over, but doesn't start
Not checked fuses as I don't think it's electrical as we have dash light/head lights etc

Prior to the breakdown, after the MOT, I had a problem with acceleration, it would 'flat-line' if I tried to pull out fast, but if I poodled around it would be ok for the most part, I just had to nurse it up through the gears, and not try to go too fast, too quickly. It would pick up speed slowly and run ok unless I put my foot down. The week before it stopped, I noticed it had improved, but not completely cured itself.
:pose: Could this have been the problem that finally caught up with me? :?: and caused it to stop altogether?? We couldn't decide if it was starved of air or fuel :evil: . It had £800+ spent on it in parts and labour for the Mot, we changed, spark plugs, leads, cat. converter, all brake pads, front shocks, front springs, near side track rod, and a few little bits that I can't think of, it was pulled around quite a bit by different people as they took days to 'get to it'. Was without it for about 2-3 months, then it had this air/fuel problem when I got it back, but it ran and I had mot. :wink:

I hope that this will throw new light on my problem??
I don't know how to solve it, so any ideas would be appreciated. Just want to get it running and sell the darn thing now!!!
Cas :'(

I know that it's been mentioned already, but have you checked if there is a spark? You seem to have mostly ruled out fuel so by the laws of engine logic, this surely has to be the next logical step?

The Arch Bishop said:
I know that it's been mentioned already, but have you checked if there is a spark? You seem to have mostly ruled out fuel so by the laws of engine logic, this surely has to be the next logical step?

This. Before you do anything else whip out the plugs and check them out. See if they're wet with fuel or dry. Check a plug for a spark. Get back to basics.

S1_RS said:
The Arch Bishop said:

This. Before you do anything else whip out the plugs and check them out. See if they're wet with fuel or dry. Check a plug for a spark. Get back to basics.

It had new plugs autumn last year, but it threw up a code for the third cyclinder on the diagnostic, so we pull 2 and 3 out both had spark
Cas

Is it even trying to start? If you say you're getting spark and fuel, then providing the timing isn't way out, it would at least cough a bit when cranking it over.

The Arch Bishop said:
Is it even trying to start? If you say you're getting spark and fuel, then providing the timing isn't way out, it would at least cough a bit when cranking it over.

Hi, yes it has spark and fuel. I think it might be something to do with what was going on before it stopped. It was suffocating if I tried to pull away fast. I don't know what caused that, but I didn't have the funds to get it fixed after spending more than it's worth getting it through the mot. Over £900 and it's a S reg. Taking it to a garage now, more money, but just want it going, and sold. It will probably run without another single problem for the next 2 years knowing my luck, but it's too small for my needs now, it was fun while it lasted, but the time has come to move on.

Big thankyou to everyone who tried to help me sort this out, I really appreciate it, but without it in front of you, with a problem like this one, it was a long shot at best!!! Good job I have bad luck or I would have none at all! LOL!!! :p
Happy motoring everyone!!
Cas xoxox

Hi everyone,
Just one more question, could the fuel cut off switch have broken when it went over that bump? We tried towing/bumping it today and it sounded like it was not getting fuel, but it looks like the switch is down far enough to be working ok. Fuel pump whirring when ignition has been switched on, so I think it isn't the pump itself, all fuses ok, unless it's one of the relays?
Its going in the garage on tuesday but I really can't afford it to be honest, this car owes me too much money already :'(
Many Thanks for reading
Cas

Hi everyone,
Here is an update;
Put it into a racing garage (Welch's of Fleet - They run rally cars) they did a full diagnostic; 2nd and 3rd cylinder have low compression; No. 2 80 psi, No. 3 70 psi, Possible head gasket or valve related problems; code read; 2 faults shown, ECU fault (anyone know what that is??) and Fuel pump secondary circuit, fuel pressure very low at rail.

What do I do? Dump, sell or finish repairing it? Spent a grand on it now, probably around £5-600 on labor. I would really appreciate some feed back on this issue, cos when do you stop?? I have that money 'invested' in that car, but do I cut my losses now, as I was going to sell it to recoup expenses, or do I just put it down to experience, and morn the money I threw at it and dump it??!!!! :?
Many thanks for taking the time to read through this saga!! LOL!!!
Cas :cool:

Kizza said:
you can bypass the switch if you want by removing the plug and bridging it with a wire.

Cheers Kieran (FibreBuild)

We tried that Kieran, didn't make any difference, but thanks
Cas

Or the third choice of selling it someone who can fix it themselves?? Would it be worth doing if you could fix it yourself?? It has MOT until Dec 2013
What would you do?
Cas

Back