Puma 1.7 does not start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attila_oneal

Hi everybody I just bought a 1.7 Puma from 2000. The last owners used to have a key trouble so he sold it to me.
I did a lot of check but I still can not start it. Belows are the symptoms.

- Starter not running
- ELM can not connect to ECU
- Fuel Pump fuse broke each time
- Air condition light on (can not be turned off)

What I did :
- First I change ECU and chip that I bought from Puma Bit on Ebay (still not working)
(The light near the clock does not fix as it should)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S2fvGwVySU[/youtube]

- I've checked the commutator under the steering wheel to see if it send power to the starter (it works)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQiZj_NY9PY[/youtube]
- I've removed the Starter to test it with 12v battery it works so I put it back
- I've changed the antenna near the neaiman because I thought it may be broken, still no changment

What I still have to do :
- change the fuel filter (done, but the fuse still broke)
- change the fuel pump
- put back the fuse from the fuel pump

I really don't know what to do, I know that the new ECU is fine (wrranty from puma bit) it's a Dive ECU

Can the fuel pump prevent the starter from running ? I'm not expecting the car to run, but I don't know why the starter does not run.

Actually I really don't know what I have to do. All fuse are fine relay also except the one from the fuel pump.

Anykind of help will be much appreciated.

Hi Attila,
For the OBD adaptater I can advise you a BBFLY which worked on my puma.
The ELM chinese at 10€ on ebay was not working on it, because ford use special OBD protocol.
After buying a BBFLY adaptater on amazon at less than 30€ and the app Fordsys or forscan it will normaly work.
Depending of which device you use.
I had the same issue about OBD.

Or maybe a shortcut ...
Or maybe with the key, the system who protect the key with the antenna that you changed, does this antenna or some other component is linked with the key or something like that ?

I know it should not help you but it was what I thinking ...

merci pour l'ELM je vais regarder ça. D'autres disent que la clé s'est désencodée.

Maybe this video can helps you ... It is on renault but ours puma should have the same system and the same issue ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpkDW2zUCms.

Ce serai bizarre que la clé se désencode, avec l'usure je pense que le système qui doit ressembler à de la RFID doit déconner car normalement tu as un émetteur (pas forcément besoin de courant) et un récepteur qui lui va en avoir besoin pour lire les infos sur la clé, ou inversement mais un des 2 n'as pas besoin de courant, peut être que le courant n'est pas forcément bien fourni.

l'antenne ne serai pas liée avec un code ?
Je ne sait pas comment s'est fait mais ça peut être possible?

I have a 15 A to fuel pump, I bought A pierburg so I will have to change it, relays also are fine. Earthing ok, one to the cars the other to the gear box.

the key was sent by pumas bit with a DIVE ECU I bought fro them, he told me I should recode new keys with forscan the red light blink like that [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S2fvGwVySU[/youtube]

I will check all the pins from ECU as someone advise to see if there is no electrical failures

Obviously the fuel pump need to be swapped out and get it to the stage of buzzing for a few seconds on turning the ignition on. Have you checked at this stage that you have a spark at the plugs? If not I am wondering if there maybe a problem with the crankshaft sensor connections located behind the starter?

DOH said:
Obviously the fuel pump need to be swapped out and get it to the stage of buzzing for a few seconds on turning the ignition on. Have you checked at this stage that you have a spark at the plugs? If not I am wondering if there maybe a problem with the crankshaft sensor connections located behind the starter?
Actually the starte does not run, I don't have the light like if there was some imobilizer trouble, check the previous video. Weird behavior PBT sensor is new

Wild E. Coyote said:

Yes, but you need the full version. Also, not sure it works on DIVE PCM. Works for sure on TAPE, but not sure on DIVE
Puma Bit told me it works, he will help me to do that

I have nothing to add except, keep up the percerverence and updates hoopefully you will succeed!

Back