Puma Engine Dimensions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oli8925

Bare with me on this one...I'm not going to be tempted to do it, I'm just intrigued ;)

Does anyone know the dimensions of a fully built up engine, or the space you have to play with in a Puma engine bay?

The reason I ask (and put it here) is that I have developed a bit of an interest in forced induction since getting a Saab 9000 a little over a year ago. Only the 'slower' 150bhp 2.0 LPT with a Garrett T25, although a stage 1 ECU and a few parts stolen from a higher spec model allow for 220BHP and 250NM. The thing about these engines is they're virtually bullet proof, standard internals can take 400BHP easily meaning they cost very little to achieve high power, all that's really needed is turbo, intercooler, injector, fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator uprades as well as the ECU mapping, but there are plenty of people around that can do that for peanuts and it's easy to be able to set yourself up for ECU mapping at home (understanding it all is another matter!)

The downside size-wise is that it's a pretty tall block, but other than that it's not too much of a monster. I have no idea of gearbox compatibility issues, or the rest, but wondered if anyone had thought much into it before. There are a fair few Astras with the engine in (obvious GM *spit* connections). I do have a 9000 due to be scrapped on my dad's drive with the 2.3 FPT engine in, unfortunately an auto but won't take much to convert, almost tempting to buy a dirt cheap MOT failure Puma but I've got enough on my plate.

sounds like a very interesting thread mate go for it BUT dont forget the pics

I've got far too much to do to take on a project like that unfortunately. Maybe one for the future. But 9000s or the engines can be picked up for next to scrap prices if anyone wants to look into it further. Engine numbers you want is the B204 2 litre or B234 2.3 litre. Can get virtually the same performance from either, 2.0 is a bit more revvy whereas 2.3 is a bit more torquey.

To wet appetites, this is from the guy that persuaded me to get take the 9000. This is his old 9000 that was unfortunately scrapped due to rust. Turn your sound off as it just comes out as a mess in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYf_VMXJhGo&list=UUDlG_tZeZ6ZgiuGj_TJ7oSA&index=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a stripped out 1000kg 9000 that I love, still needs a bit of development as you'll see.
http://vimeo.com/53964668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Saab engines are a very well. Developed engin, over engineered for the power they produce, but great for modifying. You can fit ppretty much any small 4 cylinder engine in a puma, I'm pretty confident I could do it with not a lot of hassle. Issues would be speed and rev signals to dash (unless you used a Saab one), driveshafts, & gear linkages. Then you'd have to change hydraulic fittings for the clutch.

Back