Puma Enlarged Throttle Body

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkie

I see there is someone on Fleabay that enlarges them to 54mm with a new butterfly. Has anyone tried one? Does it actually improve power along with some other mods?

Was wondering this myself... I used to have a fiesta st that people increased there 55mm throttle body to 60mm... Power difference wasnt great though, like 3hp at the most. Not sure about torque though.

The 2.0 Zetec `silvertop` as fitted to pre 96 Mondeo`s is loads bigger than a standard puma and (more or less) bolts on.

There is a little power increase though power delivery and throttle response are both improved.
They are getting rare but still cost a lot less than the fleabay jobbies for the same gains..
You would see better improvements on a more highly tuned engine.

I fitted a 2ltr mondy tb to my puma. I bored the inlet manifold out too.

The puma also had a cone filter with a good cold air feed to it. Rather my engine had lost some horses cause i had a play against a standard looking puma and it was pulling away from me ever so slightly, i defo wasnt catching it up.

To be honest I fitted a KnN cone filter to my 1700, it was gutless after that! Even with a cold air feed with minimal bends in it. I just took my old air.box apart and removed the resonator and put the cold air feed pipe straight onto the side.of the box and it's now sitting next to the rad facing the open road! It's much better. Doesn't lag or hesitate. I would recommend it! I had 0-60 time of 11.9 with the cone filter and now it's down to 9.9 seconds with.modified airbox

Jamesgti14 said:
[post]355693[/post] To be honest I fitted a KnN cone filter to my 1700, it was gutless after that! Even with a cold air feed with minimal bends in it. I just took my old air.box apart and removed the resonator and put the cold air feed pipe straight onto the side.of the box and it's now sitting next to the rad facing the open road! It's much better. Doesn't lag or hesitate. I would recommend it! I had 0-60 time of 11.9 with the cone filter and now it's down to 9.9 seconds with.modified airbox
So 9.9 to 60.Thats nearly as quick as a standard car :grin:

Yea but they lose horsepower over time and at 116000 miles can't expect much more than that can ya. It's ok though I've got a reconditioned block and head to go in sometime so essentially the engine will.be on the equivalent of , well 0 miles. So I will test again once it's run in.

Jamesgti14 said:
[post]355709[/post] Yea but they lose horsepower over time and at 116000 miles can't expect much more than that can ya. It's ok though I've got a reconditioned block and head to go in sometime so essentially the engine will.be on the equivalent of , well 0 miles. So I will test again once it's run in.
Out of interest how do you recon a 1.7 nickasil block????

Jamesgti14 said:
[post]355693[/post] To be honest I fitted a KnN cone filter to my 1700, it was gutless after that! Even with a cold air feed with minimal bends in it. I just took my old air.box apart and removed the resonator and put the cold air feed pipe straight onto the side.of the box and it's now sitting next to the rad facing the open road! It's much better. Doesn't lag or hesitate. I would recommend it! I had 0-60 time of 11.9 with the cone filter and now it's down to 9.9 seconds with.modified airbox
Idk what air filter you use and what mods you have done to the box but mine does 8.8 0-100km/h with just modded air box no special filter, and for sure its on more millage from yours... you got something wrong

Oh here we go! GPS apps aren't exactly spot on are they? No, the point is if you read deep.enough into it that I get a better time without a Genuine KnN pod filter , so standard airbox mod benefits you more. GPS isn't 100% accurate the only way to test it would be a laser speed device but I'm not that bothered enough to do it, and by the way the standard 0-60 time is 9.7 seconds on a 123 bhp puma. You can't recondition nikasil cylinders however you can replace all internals for uprated or alternatively new parts

Jamesgti14 said:
[post]355747[/post] and by the way the standard 0-60 time is 9.7 seconds on a 123 bhp puma.
8.8 to 9.2, depending on the year. Early ones, like mine, didn't use a torque limiter in 1st and 2nd.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=62
http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/ford-0-60-mph-times/

Mines 2001, everything I read when looking up the 1700 said 9.7 seconds :-/, what is the time for the 2001 models ? I guess it's slower due to the torque limiter.

Ok so this says the millenium is quicker than the thunder lol http://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/puma/coupe-1997/specs/ also wiki saya that all 123 bhp engines are 9.7, what a crock of sh*t, so how do we know the official figures?

Latest posts

Back