Puma project car.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2

Spur of the moment purchase; Red puma 2000 1.4 in red!
Bought it off a guy who bought a trailer with it on and it came with it but he didn't want the car!
Keen to get it going but apparently the fuel pump doesn't work (at least thats what the last owner was told) so cant check to see if it runs ok or not! :lol:
Theres 12v to the inertia switch with the switch out of circuit, however when its in circuit and you turn it on the 12v is there on the outgoing side of the switch but then drops off when a rely clicks somewhere in front of the passenger side!
I've disconnected the inertia switch and measured the fuel pump resistance at around 1 ohm - is this too low? It doesn't blow the fuse, but not sure if it has before we got it. Theres no noise from the pump in the rear - should there be even with the tank empty? Car ran out of mot over a year ago and seems to have stood around and may have been used for spares - indeed, there are two prop wheels on one side and two spoked ones on the other - all only have two nuts on each and thers no spare!
Good purchase eh!!! :roll:
Is there an easy way to prove/disprove the fuel pump so i dont have to drop the tank?
Anyone have any cheap prop wheels?
Oh and tyres too as only ones stays up and thats bald!!!
Told you it was a good purchase and hey guess what - the other 1/2 isnt happy about it at all..surprisingly!!!
Other than the above, it's a tidy little motor - no ac but has ABS :grin:

Put this here as wasn't sure where it should go, so no doubt it will get 'relocated' when the administartor has eyes on it! :wink:

:cool: Good luck with the project!

This section is fine unless you want to use it as a project thread to track your progress, but you're welcome to keep this here then create a new one.

Thanks, i'll keep it here then - but will post 'updates' as and when anything monumental occurs!

Will fit it in around the other 'works' to do i.e. Fourtrak spraying, S class door spraying etc! :grin:

We're booked for the FITP again this year, so maybe there will be some spares there ? :?:

There should definitely be a whirring coming from the fuel pump, without the back seats in I can hear mine over the engine so it's difficult to miss it. If you have the means to do so whip out the pump and apply 12V to it from a battery or jump starter pack and see if it works, if it doesn't then you know the problem, if it does then keep searching. Seeing as the car has been stood for a while the petrol will have gone off and gummed up, which can knacker the pump, especially if it's a bit weak anyway. The same thing happened to me when I put a can of old fuel in, but luckily I managed to unblock the pump and get it back into life, without spending more than a few fuses.

Thanks, there was one blown fuse in the footwell area along with a few of the smaler blade ones - think those were for the radio unit! Sounds like the fule pump isn't whizzing up but is maybe ok as it's not blowing any fuses and has continuity (about 1 ohm).
Big Q - how easy (!) is it to take the fuel pump out i.e. is there an easy way to remove/drop the fuel tank etc? :?: At least i wont have to bother with the spare wheel as there isn't one! :)

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29430&p=348451&hilit=remove+fuel+pump#p348451

In a word - no

Seems easy enougth to do - expect there will be the usual hangups with seized bolts etc but i have a hammer and chisel/drill etc so these are easy to sort! :grin:

Back