Puma S1600 (WRC) any genuine info?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigk_47

Hi, I was having a look about on the net and couldn't find any decent amount of information on the puma S1600 so thought I'd start a new topic here and see what we can come up with. What exactly was the engine? As far as I know it was a 1.6 Zetec SE with in excess of 200bhp so why aren't there more performance tuning parts availiable for us? Who drove it and how successful was it? Was it the reason for the FRP coming to be and how closely related are they? Any relevant info would be much appreciated but only actual facts pleas :) craig

im sure the one your on about is the one warrenpenelver owns

No, Warren has a 2.0 Turbo YB cosworth engine in his and it was put together by Pumaspeed and an S1600 bodykit.. ;)

Not a S1600 in anything other than bodykit really.

I think this is a "proper" one. As you say, a 1.6 Zetec with what looks like a gorgeous inlet manifold!

There are lots of tuning goodies available for the 1.6, ITB's, wide range of cams, etc.

The S1600 ran a different inlet manifold, single TB with a plenum, good for power at high revs (8000rpm), but probably not much good for road use.

I'll just stick links to anything I find for now, and we can consolidate it all when we've got a fair bit. Need to update the wiki page with the info when we've got something decent. :eek:k: Been meaning to do something on this for a while...

http://www.teambirkbeck.com/ford-motorsport/ford-puma-s1600/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bet this book is fascinating:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boreham-40-year-Story-Motorsport-Factory/dp/1844251039/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261430675&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the S1600 build manual I picked up from Boreham at the Ka championship induction!
Both the 1.4 and 1.6 used the same 1.7 80mm block but with different stroke, built by Swindon (Yamaha steel crank, steel rods and Cosworth forged pistons) Top end ran with the standard 30mm/26mm valves (both engines)

bore/stroke (1400) 80/69.4mm, (1600) 80/79.4mm
cr (1400)10.9-1 (1600)12.3-1
power (1400) 154bhp @ 7750rpm (1600) 201bhp @ 8250rpm
torque (1400) 119lbs/ft @ 2600rpm (1600) 138lbs/ft @ 6500rpm

The reason why there arent many parts available is that you had to buy the engine conversion kit at £11,404.34 for the 1.6 and all the parts were designed to run in that specific engine. In fact the entire car had to be built/bought from Boreham, even the bodyshell had a 909 part number (for those who dont know, all Ford motorsport part numbers start with 909)

Stig Blomqvist was the test driver.

Damn this forum is good! :) A pretty special bit of kit then? Be really good to have all the information in the form of a stickie at some point after all, surely the s1600 is the ultimate puma! If the shell itself was a dedicated motorsport item I wonder how much was different from the standard shell. I believe they were all left hand drive and obviously had weld in cages but i wonder how much different the suspension and braking components were. The front and rear brakes were alcon items

roadrally said:
I have the S1600 build manual I picked up from Boreham at the Ka championship induction!
Both the 1.4 and 1.6 used the same 1.7 80mm block but with different stroke, built by Swindon (Yamaha steel crank, steel rods and Cosworth forged pistons) Top end ran with the standard 30mm/26mm valves (both engines)

bore/stroke (1400) 80/69.4mm, (1600) 80/79.4mm
cr (1400)10.9-1 (1600)12.3-1
power (1400) 154bhp @ 7750rpm (1600) 201bhp @ 8250rpm
torque (1400) 119lbs/ft @ 2600rpm (1600) 138lbs/ft @ 6500rpm

The reason why there arent many parts available is that you had to buy the engine conversion kit at £11,404.34 for the 1.6 and all the parts were designed to run in that specific engine. In fact the entire car had to be built/bought from Boreham, even the bodyshell had a 909 part number (for those who dont know, all Ford motorsport part numbers start with 909)

Stig Blomqvist was the test driver.

I gotta get a copy of that book dude! :)?

theres still loads of S1600 puma's kicking about in national rally championships, if you just google "ford puma s1600" theres stacks of info on there, you can even find the technical regs that all S1600 rally cars are built to, the puma only won one JWRC rally but was pretty succesfull in the BRC and other national championships and is still very competetive with the right driver on board!

im not sure if im correct when i saw this but i belive they also did a "junior" s1400 car as a one make series??

craigk_47 said:
Damn this forum is good! :) A pretty special bit of kit then? Be really good to have all the information in the form of a stickie at some point after all, surely the s1600 is the ultimate puma! If the shell itself was a dedicated motorsport item I wonder how much was different from the standard shell. I believe they were all left hand drive and obviously had weld in cages but i wonder how much different the suspension and braking components were. The front and rear brakes were alcon items
Shell had mega cage fitted, large cutout on the box above the front wheel, front arb mount in shell, all unwanted brackets cut off and a trick front slam panel that allowed the large rad to be fitted.
The 1.4 (790kg)Puma basically ran a standard FRP beam, front brakes were Mondeo, 3 way adjustable shocks, wide track wishbones (alu, rosejoint adjustable) special subframe.
The 1.6 (880kg)was a lot more trick with special independant rear beam big calipers, front had 330mm discs and bells, Alcon 4 pot calipers, 6 speed dog box, bag tank, throttle bodies and Pectel ecu.

The 1.4 and 1.6 Pumas had a special championship running along side the Ka championship with the winner progressing up to the next level, ie-Ka winner got a 1.4 Puma to run in the next years championship, 1.4 winner got 1.6, not sure what happend if you won the 1.6!

warrenpenalver said:
for £11k you can easily get a reliable 200bhp zetec se these days! And thats without 1000mile rebuilds!
Yes you can , but these engines were championship spec and homologated to run in group A, so you had to run the components from Ford (or Chris Birkbeck) and the engines were sealed. Thats the reason why we didnt go into the Puma championship, got a car cheap but would still cost about £45k before you turned a wheel!
Had the same problem in the Ka championship, all parts had to come from Boreham or Birkbeck and were tagged so you couldnt get them from anywhere else cheaper.

Current advert:

http://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-for-sale/rally-car-1571.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rally-cars-1571_1.jpg

Production date: 2001
ECU: Pectel
Transmission: Hewland
Weight: 1000 kg
Wheel side: Left
Class: Super 1600
Shock absorbers: Dynamic DSV
Power: 235

Comments
This is a genuine Ex-Works Ford Puma Super 1600 built by Ford at Boreham Wood factory I think its the 1st Works Car X881 YOO, homologated under A5578. The car is legally homologated for international rallies within country of use up to 2010. The car comes with gravel set up and spring set up for tarmac (ideal for UK tarmac). 10 x 15” Ford/Speedline gravel wheels. The car is the latest spec in all areas. The gearbox is set with gravel diff ramps with 0 miles since rebuild and the engine is 50 miles since rebuild. Gravel suspension has done 200 stage miles since full rebuild by Manufacturer DSV Dynamics. 6 Speed Hewland Sequential Gearbox, Alcon Brakes, Dynamic dampers 3 way adjustable, a brand new ATL Fuel cell £1300 (not many Pumas have legal in date fuel cells now. Some spares: Final drives, clutches, flywheel, plastic inlet-manifold, Injectors, engine sensors, driveshafts, brake disc, pads, rear hub, gravel struts, engine parts, some gearbox parts include gravel diff ramps. The car competed in the Junior World Rally Championship in 2001, 2002 & 2003. In 2001 at the hands of A.Galanti:- Catalunya, Acropolis, Finland, San Remo, Corsica, Network Q, and again in 2002 Monte Carlo, Catalunya, Acropolis, Deutschland, San Remo, Network Q, 2003 Acropolis with Works Driver A.Feghali. The car comes with all technical information we have gathered over the past year and all our knowledge will be given to you. The car comes with all relevant FIA documentation. We can spend a day going through the entire car after purchase. This car is prepped ready to go. contact [email protected]

Seller
Name: Stefan
Phone: 07866675163

Back