race tube and back box increases fuel consumtion?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby4Puma

Hi guys...im planning to install a race tube and back box...same as speedypete in the thread bellow...hoffman race tube and cherry bomb back box but im not sure if that will affect fuel consumtion...did anyone tested that? And i dont mean placebo effect..really tasted....tnx

Sorry Scotty my english its not native and i didnt get what u said :) please put it in other words :)

Fuel consumption is determined by the engine management and how much you push the throttle.

There are other factors also to consider, under inflated tyres, weight in the vehicle, dirty air filter and hard driving conditions to name a few.
For testing specific fuel consumption rates, im guessing, but people don't swap parts over to check that for different set ups.

The 'race tube'... I used for over a year, did not change the fuel consumption on my puma at all, but... I did not check exact figures and use the car in identical situations to test.
For a 'cherry bomb', I think PumaJay used or still does use one so best speak to him.

But I think you will find it near impossible to get exact figures of fuel consumption rates between what you have now and what you have with those two modifications.
Like I say, so many other factors come into play if you are looking for precise fuel consumption figures.

I hope this is understandable, if not, copy and paste into google translate.

I understand everything now...its just i didnt get what u meant earlier...i measure my fuel consumtion like this....full thank to the lip...than fuel tank to the lip after drving 2-3 hundred miles and do the math. In raggamuffins thread bellow some people complainned about higher fuel consumtion after installing the back box...and i google the subject but the same...some people say it increases the f.c. some people say it doesnt...so thats why i wanted to see if someone really tested this...

Ah I understand.
You have to bear in mind that if you judge fuel consumption on a full tank to the lip, then you have to do the identical style of driving for 2-3 hundred miles.
Theres no point doing the distance on motorways, changing the parts, then checking driving around the town as the car will use a different volume of fuel to the different styles of driving.

Its not exact but most modifications if not too harsh, you will see little change to fuel consumption. With those two items you mentioned, I do not believe you with have any drastic changes at all.

But like I said, I have not tested these items under stringent protocols.

It comes down to human input,its how it is driven and how well its maintained,to be honest i really cant see why people are getting worried about mpg when changing the exhaust,for a 1.7 they are good for a decent mpg,when youve run a thirsty v6/v8 engine car,which does 16mpg around town and lucky to get 32mpg on a long run then start moaning about it.

I tested fuel consumtion this way when i had a very long drive...and i got 6.13 litres / 100 km(62.5 miles) driving 70 without ac ...and 6.34 litres/ 100 km driving 80 with AC on...so i think this is a good way to test how much fuel your car consume..

Little increase wont be a problem...my puma its my every day car...unfortunately...i wished it was my second car for the week end or track...i want to do some mods on it but keep a balance...slight fuel consumtion increase wont be a problem...if u do long runs the MPG matters

The 2 items would be stage 1...in the future i was thinking to get the 4-2-1 manifold...sports cat...and the frp intake manifold...and i wanted to know how things are before i start on this road...

You'll think the mpg has got worse because you'll love the sound it will now make now, therefore you'll change up later at higher revs and use more fuel. It happens to most people

Back