REALLY dirty alloys

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

okay, i let me allows build up a nasty amount of brake dust and grime (some of you would probably string me up for how bad it is) anyone got any tips on how to get rid of the thick stuff?
would be much appreciated
thanks.

Most of the excess will come off with a shampoo by hand / blast with a pressure washer if you've got one (normal attachment not a "power" attachment, and avoiding your tyres, obviously).

Autoglym Clean Wheels and Wheel Brush work for me for most stuck-on stuff, but not the really stubborn stuff. I haven't investigated too much on how to get them completely crap-free as I plan to have them refurbed next month and will make sure they're sealed up with several coats of wheel sealant to prevent future corrosion and damage (and make keeping them clean easier).

I know a couple of the hardcore detailers on here like to use Bilberry wheel cleaner.

A quick search on Detailing World uncovered this post - the stuff he used seems to have done the trick! (Bilt-Hamber Surfex HD Degreaser / Valet Pro Citrus Tar and Glue Remover (but only cos he'd run out of Autosmart Tardis Tar and Glue Remover) / Bilt-Hamber Clay)

People also seem to recommend CarPro Iron-X for getting rid of baked-in brake dust.

Hope this helps. :eek:k:

Bilberry will shift most things used neat. Then you can either clay them, or use Iron X which will shift all the ingrained sintered iron from the brake pads, its amazing what it shifts...

Follow that up with either Gtechniq C5 for an expensive solution but lasts for a year at least, or chemical guys wheel sealant for cheaper but doesnt last as long.

I use Auto Glym Custom Wheels cleaner and a wheel brush, its good if youve got newly refurbed wheels as its not acidic like most wheel cleaners and doesnt damage the laquer :)

Mr Muscle oven cleaner!!! :grin:

used it in the past when I used to care about having a clean car, it works a treat.
Spray it on and leave it while you wash the rest of the car, rinse it off at the end. Clean wheels! :grin:

Be careful with a pressure washer as if you've got broken lacquer, you could lift more.

If you really can't get some brake dust off, then try a little used clay (or new if you're feeling flush) as that works a treat ;)

I had very dirty wheels when I bought my car. I got most of it off with wheel cleaner, scrubbing with a brush and pressure washer, but there were stubborn patches that refused to come off. Tried everything from oven cleaners to the wheel formulas, but in the end the thing that worked best was WD-40

Dal said:
If you really can't get some brake dust off, then try a little used clay (or new if you're feeling flush) as that works a treat ;)

I never thought of doing that. Will give that a go with my new car :lol:

Latest posts

Back