REAR ARM BUSHES

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveRich

I need to replace my rear arm bushes, ave never done it b4 so, any pointers please :D

tell me if im right here

Put a jack under the car, loosen the bolts, pump up the jack, so the frame can swing down
press out old ones, n press in new?

looks to be simple, but after all its a ford soo its usually hard to do lol

getting the old ones out is the only tricky bit, just keep at it! theres is a guide in the how to section.

Another thing, before fully tightening bolts to floor, put car on its own weight, to get correct alignment of rear arm

Hiya. your short run through the job was a bit frightening fo my liking so I thought a couple of things were worth a mention.

1) the car needs to be firmly and safely on decent axle stands before you start, the car not the axle,I know you may know this but since you didnt say it,so for safety its well worth a mention.

2) get a jack lightly pumped up under the front of the axle before removing the bolts then gently lower it

3) you'll need a special tool if your re fitting oem bushes.

Theres lots more you'll need to know on the site but I just wanted to mention the above

In my opinion at least for me, and probably others,doing it on the floor would have been somewhere between very difficult and impossible,so I had to remove the axle (which can add more costs and time etc)

Good luck with it :thumbs:

i know about the saftey stuff but cheers for the info, im sure i will manage, theres nothing left of my drivers side so it sounds like a someones hammering in the boot when im driving, i already destroyed my OE shock with so im not wanting to do damage to the ones ive just had fitted :L

cord the middle rubber out first i used a hole saw,then i sawed through the metal outer casing in 2 places then chiselled it out, its a fun job!

madhillbilly17 said:
cord the middle rubber out first i used a hole saw,then i sawed through the metal outer casing in 2 places then chiselled it out, its a fun job!
To be honest, I found it an 'easy' job to do from a technical point of view, but it's more 'physical' than anything.

i will be able to do it but am thinkin of just strippn the full back end off instead of doing it under the car lol is anything ever easy on a ford :L my mondeo was great parts used to just fall of :L no need for a spanner, the puma seems to be the opposite

If you strip it, it would be a good time to give the back end a good clean up and the rear beam too. Good time for a lick of paint as well if you fancy it.

As topmansparkie says, if you take the beam off, give it a good clean and paint. I had mine powdercoated, but, on reflection, I would have rust-treated it and used Hammerite. Whilst mine was off, I had a local garage press the new bushes in for £10.
If you're using standard bushes, make sure they are positioned correctly, with the "Arrow" on the rubber part facing rearwards, as in this pic:

i will be able to press them in my self, how hard is to get the full thing off, i was gonny give it a coat of hammerite but i thot it would be pointless considering its gettin hit with stone and all tht lol i thot the piant would just get ruined

personally i'd say cut out the old ones and replace them with poly bushes, they just slide in by hand and last shedloads longer than oem ones.

For poly, you can chose:

Powerflex

or

FloFlex

I have FloFlex fitted... firm but not too harsh. Easy to fit... took literally seconds to put in.
Powerflex just push in too, but I've never fitted them.

For either, a nice splash of copper grease when they go in.

I chose poly for two reasons:
Lifespan of Poly greater than OEM
I had no way of getting OEMs pressed in.... I don't pay for anything to be done unless I have to (special jobs requiring special tools), so if I can buy parts I can fit myself, I will.

Improved Handling
· Improved Damping Characteristics
· Prolonged Tyre Life
· Increased Safety

how is all tht possible lol all there doing is holdinf the frame inplace the same way the OE ones do :L
i think i will get these ones tho, i dnt know where my wee bush presser thing is.

I didn't read any of that. I was looking for something Poly and to fit my Puma rear beam. Nothing more!

Some pics of the FloFlex... for your information:

03032012502.jpg

03032012509.jpg

SteveRich said:
Improved Handling
· Improved Damping Characteristics
· Prolonged Tyre Life
· Increased Safety

how is all tht possible lol all there doing is holdinf the frame inplace the same way the OE ones do :L
i think i will get these ones tho, i dnt know where my wee bush presser thing is.

they are stiffer than rubber giving less movement and flex meaning your tyres wont be as easily pushed into incorrect alignments under pressure etc

Latest posts

Back