Rear Axle Aligning

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start working on Reggie next week (he's away for welding on Thursday, not sure how long for). I will be dropping the rear axle and replacing it with Puma's polybushed one. Is there any procedure to follow with regards to aligning the axle correctly? I dropped and replaced it on Puma without any thought to this and didn't notice anything wrong with the handling, but at the end she was such a skittish thing at the front I'm not sure I would've realised anyway!

Many thanks

Emma

I'd intended taking the hangers out as well as I've got refurbed ones to go back on. :D

I`m pretty sure they do align.
They have `pins` on the bottom (top?)
but cannot give a definitive answer.
once its apart place the new uns in position and see if the witness marks line up. also you`ll know if its even slightly out as you first take the wheel.

Yeah there is a pin on the back of the mounts, which is why I hadn't given it any thought first time. Hoping to refurb underneath so there wont be any witness marks :lol:

I'll whack it on when I get to that stage. Will probably get four wheel alignment done cause of the lowering and I was thinking about some leetle camber shims..

To the best of my knowledge you have to tighten the axle up while its on the floor and not jacked up in the air. After doing an axle refurb some time ago and having removed the axle bracket / hangers I found that one wheel was more forward in the arch than the other. I jacked it up loosened the bracket to body bolts and dropped it off the jack and then tightened it up again and it was fine after that.

Take care not to round the bracket bolts they are near £50 a set from Fords.

Hi Questy
It's only the axle pivot bolts that require tightening when the cars on the floor and normally loaded as they are metallistic bushes. You can tighten the brackets up whilst it's in the air.
Barry

As I've been thinking the same myself for when I refurbish my rear beam, you've now forced me to go out to the garage and find the Fiesta Haynes manual as it must be similar.... It's not much help to be honest!

Hi James
That last bit condradicts what I said so if I'm wrong sorry Questy but I would have thought if you lf lowered the car to the ground you would have had a hell of a job trying to align the axle, especially using the witness marks.
Barry

I know its a slightly odd one but its basically supposed to align itself. All I can say is that what I said was the advice I received from reliable sources at the time and it worked for me.

tuonokid said:
Hi James
That last bit condradicts what I said so if I'm wrong sorry Questy but I would have thought if you lf lowered the car to the ground you would have had a hell of a job trying to align the axle, especially using the witness marks.
Barry

I wouldn't worry Barry, it's a bit vague all round and the important bit as far as I can tell is as you say, don't tighten the bush bolts until the ground. Doesn't say at all how the hell you're supposed to align it!

XAF said:
tuonokid said:
Hi James
Barry

I wouldn't worry Barry, it's a bit vague all round and the important bit as far as I can tell is as you say, don't tighten the bush bolts until the ground. Doesn't say at all how the hell you're supposed to align it!

The bush bolts or the brackets bolts, cause I read it as bracket bolts? :S

quest63 said:
My belief for what its worth is both.

Yep, tend to agree with you. That's what I'll try when I come to do mine. Now how to refurb it is a totally different question as I want to be able to eat my tea off it!!

After you have bought all the cleaning de rusting priming and painting stuff

You wont be able to afford any tea :(

I bought a spare axle and rebushed and refurbed it at a leisurely pace then fitted it with almost no car downtime at all.

I have one for sale if needed :thumbs:

Extract form the Ford Racing Puma service manual - Note; it's the same way of doing things on the standard Puma, just imagine there is drum brakes in the illustrations instead of the discs.

Rear%20Beam%20Installation_zpsgrjejbys.png

The forum software seems to of changed the size of the image. The full size can be seen on this link > http://s284.photobucket.com/user/Racing_Puma/media/Ford%20Service%20Manuel%20Extracts/Rear%20Beam%20Installation_zpsgrjejbys.png.html?o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that diagram is pretty clear. It's located then tightened when the car is on the deck. Super, thank you :eek:k:

Back