Rear axle maybe?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myweepuma

Ok so today after sitting since last May I had the rear brake problem looked at bad I know!!

So they checked the adjusters and they also aren't convinced they are a problem :-(

Instead they suspect my axle :'(

Is this going to be a straight forward job or am I looking at a terminally ill puma?

Suspect what about the axle? If its the mounts I've just been told that it is fixable but will cost a lot. Haven't decided what I am going to do with mine yet but its sorned until further notice...

If the rear axle's bent it's not much of a problem to swap it out for another second hand one from Ian G on here but "suspect" it's bent needs confirming first. If it is bent before you fix the "new" one on have some new bushes fitted to save the hassle at some later date.
Barry

Remind me, what was the problem with the rear brakes?

And what affect if any does a "bent" axle have on the brakes :?

zinc2000 said:
[post]346115[/post] Remind me, what was the problem with the rear brakes?

And what affect if any does a "bent" axle have on the brakes :?
I was thinking this too but I didn't want to say it.

Confusion ended, just got it, I think the garage may mean stub axle, hence the brake problem.
Barry

If that's the case a new stub should potentially solve the problem. They are bolt on and can be changed at home with reasonable knowledge but if you're unsure maybe best for garage to swap them.

Ahh, stub axle might make more sense although how the hell you would bend a stub axle is beyond me, must have taken some force to bend that.

As above regarding fitting and given the work you have already done doubt if it will cause you any hassle at all.

Hope it solves the problem

BTW whats your postcode as I may be in Glasgow this weekend so may drop by if I can (ie the wife lets me)

What's happening is the there is a scuff noise coming from the rear wheel it doesn't move freely when jacked up turning it manually it moves pauses and you have to put some pressure on it to move it past the pause

This has caused several wheel bearing over the year it was on the road everything was replaced at the rear end except adjusters ie shoes, bearings, cylinders and drums this problem wasn't there prior to this all being changed it didn't hold on the handbrake very well but that was it

It's had lots of hammering about that area due to abs sensors and all the other work so it's possible it could have been damaged but I keep throwing money at it in the god over 3 years I've had it and it's only been on the road for 12 months of that time :-(

My guess is it's not the stub axle as if it was it would probably scrape all the way round as the drum rotates around the stub axle. For intermittent scraping I would suggest drum or wheel bearings but also the self adjusters may not be working properly causing overheating and damage to the above.
Barry

Are you torquing the nut up correctly when you refit the drums? Iirc if you dont the bearings can fail quite quickly

Could the back plate be slightly damaged maybe? if if is slightly twisted it could be preventing the shoes from dropping back into place, ie away from the drum, especially as they are held back quite tight onto the back plate.

Suggest putting a small amount of copper grease on the plate where the shoes sit, see what happens

BTW as above if stub axle was bent shoes would be in contact with drum all the time not just on and off

i really need to get this sorted it can't just keep sitting there

As the car isn't tested taxed or insured am limited to drive way repairs

But zinc it is possible the plate could have been damaged if I recall the rear abs sensors weren't much fun to change!

So after getting a mechanic here to fit said adjusters he didn't change them as he said the present ones aren't faulty

Am just chasing my tail :'(

It's all just speculation trying to do a diagnosis over the net. It sounds like the best thing you can do is (if you can't do it) to get someone to strip the whole unit and look at stuff like the handbrake cable (siezed), adjuster (seized or wound on too much), bearings (cleanliness, grease and torque setting). Before you do all that a quick check of the distance between the back of the drum and the brake backing plate all the way around the drum might give you an idea if anything's out of kilter.
Barry

Back